NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Tow Rigs and Trailers
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Tow Rigs and Trailers Hey, not all of our Jeeps are great on the highway. Post here for tech related to getting your XJ to the trailhead.

Old August 8th, 2019, 09:00
NAXJA Member

7k vs 10k Trailers

Iím closing in on acquiring a trailer and keep going back and forth on what the best option is.

I see a lot of people tow their rigs with regular 3500lb axle (7k) trailers and be fine. But I also have been told by others who have 5000lb axle (10k) trailers, swear they pull better and you never have to worry about anything you throw on it. Basically added security and will also reduce wear and tear on hubs over time since they are much more than what is needed for typical use.

Lets say my cherokee is 4000lbs. I always find myself towing to the far reaches of Kentucky a few times a year for a race. Other than that, Iím in Charlotte area and everything is a hop, skip, and a jump away.

Is going 10k worth the extra expense or is a 7k perfectly reliable for towing a 4000lb jeep?
231 w/ beefy stuff
Old August 9th, 2019, 07:04
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 7k vs 10k Trailers

I found out the hard way that 7k lb trailer tires don't like states that don't have a 55mph towing speed limit, especially if it's hot. Lost 3 tires in 6 hours of driving, all less than 3 years old. Threw some 225/75R15Es on it and they barely kiss the top of the fender when it hits a big bump.

So, if you're fine with towing 60-ish everywhere, 7k is probably fine. Just make sure the frame has a wraparound tongue (4"+ C-channel goes all the way back to the axles) as a lot of dual 3500lb axle trailers are just angle iron and will fold up like a camp chair with a Jeep on there.
Old August 9th, 2019, 14:37
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood View Post
I found out the hard way that 7k lb trailer tires don't like states that don't have a 55mph towing speed limit, especially if it's hot. Lost 3 tires in 6 hours of driving, all less than 3 years old. Threw some 225/75R15Es on it and they barely kiss the top of the fender when it hits a big bump.

So, if you're fine with towing 60-ish everywhere, 7k is probably fine. Just make sure the frame has a wraparound tongue (4"+ C-channel goes all the way back to the axles) as a lot of dual 3500lb axle trailers are just angle iron and will fold up like a camp chair with a Jeep on there.
As much as I should be towing slowly. Im almost always 65-75 depending. Good to know on the frame differences. Not too knowledgeable on whatís normal or not. Makes sense to have the wraparound C channel.

Been spoiled with using our 10k trailer at work and Iíve only experienced one bad tire with it over the past few years. Iím leaning more towards 10k as is. I really donít want to deal with tire issues.
231 w/ beefy stuff
Old August 11th, 2019, 19:06
Stranger

10K gets my vote.

My cargo trailer came with 10K axles and I liked them enough that I swapped out the axles on my car trailer to be 10K as well. Bigger bearings and bigger brakes. Much better safety/reliability margin in my book.

I did over 20K miles towing last year. All of it long distance. Half of it pretty heavily loaded. Had one blowout. The blowout happened while running empty after one particularly heavy load.

Baby it's cold outside.
Old August 12th, 2019, 08:17
NAXJA Forum User

I have 7-8k on my 7k trailer. Its a c channel frame no angle iron. I live in pa it's been to mish/Canada, Tenn /ky, Vermont and going to maine this fall. I've lost 2 tires in 5 years. I filled my tires with nitrogen and at 50 psi. my xj is around 5100 pounds. I do carry a whole set of extra parts bearings spindles etc. and 2 spare tires. i'll go ten k just do to how much I travel. and all the parts are bigger so less failure issues I would hope. I does 70 on the pa turn pike no issues. the ten k does offer a larger buffer, a ten k could cost around 2,000$ more then a 7k at most places. just a ball park number. and make sure it has tie downs, or stake pockets were u want/need them to be.
Old August 12th, 2019, 17:09
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
10K gets my vote.

My cargo trailer came with 10K axles and I liked them enough that I swapped out the axles on my car trailer to be 10K as well. Bigger bearings and bigger brakes. Much better safety/reliability margin in my book.

I did over 20K miles towing last year. All of it long distance. Half of it pretty heavily loaded. Had one blowout. The blowout happened while running empty after one particularly heavy load.
I can definitely see the benefit of the over trailered under control approach. But like all things in life, budget is a factor. In my area I can never find a decent price on a 10k, but I can find great deals on decent near new 7k trailers. Maybe down the road I can sell and upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tow_hook View Post
I have 7-8k on my 7k trailer. Its a c channel frame no angle iron. I live in pa it's been to mish/Canada, Tenn /ky, Vermont and going to maine this fall. I've lost 2 tires in 5 years. I filled my tires with nitrogen and at 50 psi. my xj is around 5100 pounds. I do carry a whole set of extra parts bearings spindles etc. and 2 spare tires. i'll go ten k just do to how much I travel. and all the parts are bigger so less failure issues I would hope. I does 70 on the pa turn pike no issues. the ten k does offer a larger buffer, a ten k could cost around 2,000$ more then a 7k at most places. just a ball park number. and make sure it has tie downs, or stake pockets were u want/need them to be.
I can easily add tie downs where I want them. Welded will most likely ensue to get it setup the way I want it. As well as extra spares etc.
231 w/ beefy stuff
Old August 12th, 2019, 18:58
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcox506 View Post
I can definitely see the benefit of the over trailered under control approach. But like all things in life, budget is a factor. In my area I can never find a decent price on a 10k, but I can find great deals on decent near new 7k trailers. Maybe down the road I can sell and upgrade.

Or you can do like I did and swap out axles. It was just a bit over $1K for new axles, springs and hardware from Etrailer. Run the 7K axles for the time being and plan to upgrade down the line. Then when you burn up a spindle you will already know where you want to go. If you start out with a 6 lug 7K now then you won't have to necessarily replace your wheels and tires at the same time you do your axles.

Baby it's cold outside.
Old August 15th, 2019, 19:12
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Or you can do like I did and swap out axles. It was just a bit over $1K for new axles, springs and hardware from Etrailer. Run the 7K axles for the time being and plan to upgrade down the line. Then when you burn up a spindle you will already know where you want to go. If you start out with a 6 lug 7K now then you won't have to necessarily replace your wheels and tires at the same time you do your axles.
That sounds like the best way to go right now.
231 w/ beefy stuff
Old August 30th, 2019, 19:14
NAXJA Forum User

Our light trailer is 14k. I like it because it matches my dodge wheels.

I've been him haughing around building a trailer purpose built for jeep and tows the skidsteer on the side. Itl have 7k axles and run a set dodge 3rd gen 17x8 wheels