• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!!! 242 tcase

Ron90XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to switch the input shaft from a 21 spline 242 tcase into a 23 spline 242 tcase. My trans is 21 spline.

Nope !!!

Rethought, I was thinking backwards! The real question/answer is from what year is the donor, and what year is yours?

The Doner t-case is my original 1990 242tcase. I blew it up 2 years ago, and we put a 231 T case in. Now when I put it in 4-wheel drive there's a lot of popping noise coming from that t-case so I got a 242 case from a 96 ZJ. The ZJ case is 23 spline but my original 242 is a 21 spline. I was hoping that I would be able to pop them both open and just change the input shaft to get back running.

The Doner t-case is my original 1990 242tcase. I blew it up 2 years ago, and we put a 231 T case in. Now when I put it in 4-wheel drive there's a lot of popping noise coming from that t-case so I got a 242 case from a 96 ZJ. The ZJ case is 23 spline but my original 242 is a 21 spline. I was hoping that I would be able to pop them both open and just change the input shaft to get back running.

The 1990 input shaft is not swappable with the 1996. The bearing width and gear cut changed between 1993/1994.

Back