• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

check engine on, but no codes.

4x4 XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ manual tranny 4.0L engine.

So the check engine is on with no codes. When I try erasing the codes while the engine is running I can't do it. But if I have the key on ACC position I can erase the CEL, but it comes back on the next time I start the car.
Today I was able to pull code P0443, when I ran a second scan it came back as no codes.
I swap the purge solenoid with another one and CEL still on. I checked all the vacuum lines on the engine and all the way back to charcol canister and no cracks.

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be.. i need the CEL off to have it smogged.
Thank you

Last edited:
Did you open the hood to make sure the engine is still there?

My xj does this pulling the battery cables and holding them together resets it normally.

Yes I drive the xj all the time..
I disconnected the batt for 15 min and nothing...

Last edited:
Also I just checked my jeep and it has not LDP, I am guessing I have a federal emissions jeep???

Did you investigate the code you pulled? EVAP purge solenoid? Number 2 in this diagram. Google it.

I had a Nissan with a persistent code that neither me nor my mechanic could pin down. I repaired (replaced the supposed part) it, but the code kept coming back. Every 40-50 miles it would reset and pop on. A real pisser. I replaced the ECU, code went away...forever. It's worth trying to run down the cause of the code...but if that fails maybe the computer is lying. Good luck.

2010-07-09_211205_2001_gc_clas_evap_sol.gif

Last night I met up with 4x4 XJ and hooked up my DRB, I found the P0443. I ran an EVAP activation test, found the solenoid didn't buzz. I swapped it with a known good solenoid, still no buzzing. Swapping the ECU for a known good one, still no buzz. I checked the connector and found the EVAP solenoid had no power. We replaced fuse #10 in the kick panel and now the EVAP solenoid works and the code shouldn't come back.

I also married his keyfob to his RKE while I had the DRB out.

Dude - just wanted to say thanks I had the same problem and it turned out to be the fuse. Was almost pulling out my hair before I found this post.

Back