• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P1391 99 auto

I'll try to read through the text tonight.

I am thinking the ECU would go into open loop when the Cam Sensor drops out. I guess the way to test that is have the engine running, with the ECU in closed loop, and unplug the harness to the Cam Sensor.
if it did go back into open loop without the cam sensor what would that mean?

Can the distributor fit easily and be off or shoukd it run like crap If that were the case?
This guy had a 4 cylinder, but p1391.
Www.obd-codes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=674
I've been reading a couple things that have some old Chrysler mechanic suggesting they think worn gears on the distributor could set the code?

Is there anything else I can do that could help answer questions any of you may have?

Last edited:
I replaced my ignition coil and spark wires today, just had to do it anyway. It did not help, p1391 fires on every second start, it's noticeable on the rpm tack the needle moving a tad.
Ive traced grounds
Power supply
Signal wires
Tested ohs on sensors
Continuity on wires all 5v,sig,grounds

Chrysler might be getting a call on sorting this out, they can at least load test. Idk I'm out of gas folks

WOdlQIc.jpg

In the middle of checking TDC a 4th time before this thing sees a mechanic for the code.

Anyone think this gear is ok?

Thanks

Can anyone recommend what to check next please, im at a wall.
I guess at this point youre past all the ground wires, it's silly but EVERY problem I've had was a ground.. TDC is a finger in the hole away and is too easy.. I say that b/c my 94's timing chain went out, I did it with my pointer finger.

Last edited:
Now that I look at the picture, I remember Ecomike having trouble with the shear pin.

Stick an old rotor on the distributor shaft. Hold the rotor with one hand, grab the small part of the gear with a pair of pliers and twist back and forth. If that gear moves on the shaft, the pin is toast.

I guess at this point youre past all the ground wires, it's silly but EVERY problem I've had was a ground.. TDC is a finger in the hole away and is too easy.. I say that b/c my 94's timing chain went out, I did it with my pointer finger.

Unless I've missed something idk, I went through very methodically testing, continuity good, time for the pros.
Tdc isn't bad, I did it again just to reassure myself that it was perfec and I wanted to see the gear as it's the only other thing I've read as a possibility.

I can officially say it is not the distributor I found a good deal on Craigslist put a brand new one in and the code p1399 and check engine light return every second time the car is started.

Ckps doesn't adjust on these right? It's two dang bolts.

I haven't made an appointment for diagnosis but I will be soon.

Upon the shop diagnostic they said they wete 99% certain its a pcm issue, 100% reserved for replacing it. I called the shop back told him that I'd tried a new PCM like they suggested they're completely baffled because their diagnostic shows signal getting to the PCM just fine. They even offered giving my money back and they literally had no suggestions on what to do next because they were so certain this was the issue.

So I went and got a same year and # pcm from the JY, plugged it in, fired it up and still have CEL.

So upon another suggestion I back probed a jumper wire into signal,supply, ground of cmps/ckps one at a time, to the corrisponding pcm "A" terminal. Start up wait for CEL, and it did not disappear.

Any ideas where to turn next guys?

Back