• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Disc Brake Conversion

Slayer92

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a XJ D44 from a local junk yard and I want to put some disc brakes on it. I was wondering if any one has tried swapping backing plates/calipers off of a D44 from an Isuzu Rodeo?

The isuzu has some wacky bearing retainer pattern that resembles Texas and is almost the same size as Texas....So I don't think the caliper mounting brackets from the isuzu D-44 will work on a XJ D44

I believe that you can possibly use the rear brakes off of an older Ford Crown Victoria. Not 100% positive though.

Ok thanks for the information guys. It looks like when I do the conversion I will use ZJ rear brakes and I will have to order this part number (5083678AA) for the bearing retainer plates.

i used a zj rear disk setup. more drilling and grinding than the ford explorer setup id recomend the explorer setup. all in all it was pretty easy and straight forward. you need tj retaining plates for the axle shafts since they have built in spacers for the proper bearing pre-load or buy teraflex spacers. otherwise your shafts will have play in them side to side, no good. other than that have a good grinding bit. also grab the inners of the zj prop valve. i have the inners just havent swapped em over yet. i like the braking power

Back