• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Raised my front flare higher

TNT

Seasoned Veteran
I recut my fender and raised my left front flare as high as possibile tonight. I need to cut/form a junkyard flare so it goes down to the bumper and fits tight to the body. A small piece will fill the gap caused by raising the flare. I will also be folding the rest of the seam, cutting and reforming the front inner fender for maximum tire clearance. A inner fender liner is in the works too. The weld in rockrails will fill the bottom 2" below the flare.

Here's a pic with 33" tires and 6" of lift

MJraisedflare.jpg

The flare is 4" higher then stock. The opening behind the tire is 4" larger at the bottom of the fender and 4" larger in the front at top of the bumper hieght.

I like that, Going to do the same with mine.
I want to use TJ's but I dont wan't to go too high.

RyanM said:
I like that, Going to do the same with mine.
I want to use TJ's but I dont wan't to go too high.

TJ flares are too short and I have more room then a TJ flare allows(I have a set). It will look way better with a new flare and the inner fender work done.

4 rear TJ flares up high looks slick. I have mine cut out where the top of the old flare left the line. I'm an idiot becase I don't know where my stock flares went. I have a classic and they were the color match:cool:

edit* reread post

Last edited:
xjwest said:
how did u compensate for the body line that u put the flair over?

If you look at a stock flare the edge sticks out about 1/4" past the mounting points because the stock fender is raised where the flares mount. I'm just going to remove some of that lip so they fit flush to the body. I also use a piece of flare to fill the gap caused by raising the flare.

I'll post up a how to when I'm done. This is just a teaser.

RyanM said:
4 rear TJ flares up high looks slick. I have mine cut out where the top of the old flare left the line. I'm an idiot becase I don't know where my stock flares went. I have a classic and they were the color match:cool:

Did you just go up higher? (no cutting towards the cab where it get's tricky)

Just draw a line around your stock flare, but extend it up to the bodyline and taper the front so there is 3" of metal from the bottom os the headlight trim to your line. Remove your flare and cut it out.

i vote no flares looks best...

RyanM said:

edit* reread post

Four rear TJ flares wouldn't work very well for this(won't fit over the body line and look good) and are too short anyways.

X2- what ticket? However, I do kind of miss the "tree feelers" that the factory mounted on the fenders.:laugh2:

ren said:
X2- what ticket? However, I do kind of miss the "tree feelers" that the factory mounted on the fenders.:laugh2:

Tires can't stick out more than 2" by law. The way the flares are mounted I can see the left one from the drivers seat.

TJ rear flares all round: 5" lift, trimmed with 32x11.5. I could swear there's room to go higher ...

done.jpg

Anyway, the TJ Rubi flares (up front) are wide enough to cover these tires and the 33's I'm thinking about. Jersey wants even the tire side lugs covered. Stock flares would never do that no matter how high you put 'em..

Mighty.Mighty_XJ said:
TJ rear flares all round: 5" lift, trimmed with 32x11.5. I could swear there's room to go higher ...

done.jpg

Anyway, the TJ Rubi flares (up front) are wide enough to cover these tires and the 33's I'm thinking about. Jersey wants even the tire side lugs covered. Stock flares would never do that no matter how high you put 'em..
That's the cleanest TJ flare install I've seen! Nice job!---------Hans

Mighty.Mighty_XJ said:

done.jpg

Yes there is room for you to go higher, but the bodyline would be a big issue for mounting them.

Mine are about 3.5" higher then yours are and have about a 4" wider opening. This is because of the extra mounting height and the work I do to the flare with a heat gun to reshape it. With 6" of lift and 33" tires there is 11" of clearance between the top of the tire to the bottom of the flare.

TJ flares are meant to mount on a flat surface and they would lose a good portion of the mounting surface when trimmed to fit above the bodyline. XJ flares mount on a raised surface which allows them to fit without losing mounting points. Compared to my XJ flares TJ flares are about 4" shorter and they wouldn't reach down to the rock rails.

I'm trying to achieve as much up-travel and tire stuff when flexed as possible.

Yes the TJ flares are wider, but in Wisconsin our tires can stick out 2" legally.

You did a great job of fitting your flares, thats one of the few TJ flare equipped XJ's I like. :cheers:

Hey, thanx ... fitting the rears were a bitch, lemme tell ya! The fronts are bolted, but I didn't want to drill the body so I used nearly 30' of 3M tape for the rears and sealed everything with RTV. They hold like welds! I do get what you're saying about the body lines. They were a challenge, but I trimmed the inside of the flares and "coaxed" them on. Have yet to go wheeling with them to see how much flex is affected. You have some insane clearance ... more than I would ever need any time soon. Nice job.

Back