• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cargo area bed liner

I did the same thing in the back of mine. Since the first day I owned it, there was a dog piss smell back there that I couldn't get out. Also, I have a dog that loves to go swimming in the lake when I go fishing! Overall I think it turned out great. To clean it, i just take a wet towel and wipe it down. What I don't like is anything I have back there slides all over the place. I also did my door openings front and rear. Mud and dirt always gets up in there anyway I took those cheap plastic covers off filled the holes up with a little JB weld and sprayed away.

thanks for the reply. I wonder if theres anything we can spray on to improve its tackiness? I have a removable sunroof that i like to take out and usually i put it back there, but if its gonna slide all over, well that dosent seem like a good idea. If I find anything I will let you know. thanks again

Did you put anything on the rust before you put the bedliner down? Do you think the rust will eventually come throught the liner?

I am in the process of putting in a new floor, It will get POR15'ed and I am not sure If I will bedline on top of that.

katarn

the only rust that i saw was surface, and i took some sandpaper and cleaned it off. I thought about using a rustoleum but I wasn't sure if the bad liner would take to it. Let's just hope that it dosen't go through lol

Next thing you know you'll be looking like me--

650358_80_full.jpg

650358_83_full.jpg

Being able to hose it out is amazing-- makes clean up sooo much easier.

I'm thinking about doing that ^

but when I was ripping my carpet out this last weekend I found a 5 or so places that the rust had eaten through the floor. So now I get to weld replace some sheet-metal. I was also thinking about using some large-diameter bolts as draing plugs.

I just finished mine a few minutes ago (front of the jeep that is). Now its just time to wait for it to cure and put everything back in. I think I might do the cargo area in the near future as I still have about 1/2 gallon left after doing 3 coats.

91xj, you used three coats too. Do you think that's enough or should we put more on? btw ctavel, looks awesome nice job

There are multiple drain holes already in the tub of the XJ, so I really doubt that you'll need anymore. But if you are trying to cover the holes you can just reuse the stock covers.

I got very lucky with my floors because I had no serious rust to deal with. If you are set on adding drain

Thanks for the compliment--

ctavel said:
There are multiple drain holes already in the tub of the XJ, so I really doubt that you'll need anymore. But if you are trying to cover the holes you can just reuse the stock covers.

A lot of the drain points will be coming out when I start replacing the floor, that's the only reason I'm going to create some of my own

What type of bedliners are everyone using?
I was thinking of putting some bedliner on my rockers, has anyone ever tried this? I heard that it peels off easly when you hit a rock. what do you guys think?

I used Herculiner and used the better part of the gallon can I bought. I also did my BPI Bumper with the extra Herc. My only complaint about the Herc is that on the BPI it's begun to fade into a gray that the interior never did since its covered. Now that I'v chopped the rear portion of the roof off it'll be interesting to see how badly the Herc fades back there.

cjwalkeriii said:
91xj, you used three coats too. Do you think that's enough or should we put more on? btw ctavel, looks awesome nice job
I used Duplicolor bedliner since I figured the extra trexture of the herculiner would tend to trap more dirt and other garbage. As to 3 coats being enough only time will tell but I figure since they say use 2 coats I'd give it one extra. Since I still have about 1/2 gallon left I can alwyas roll another coat or 2 or use it for touch ups in the future.

ya know, that's what I said. But for the mainpage, the wife(Actually gf but may as well outta be) said it "llooked to busy". THank's for the compliment and maybe I will secretly strap on a set of nutz and go back and change it. lol

as for interior i have a 1999 xj and did the same thing all the way back... i used 3 coats which took a while with a brush and for exterior i have rhino lined rocker panels and rusty fender flares which has not faded at all. the herculiner on the inside is sweet...if you have power seats and want to hose out the tubs make sure you seal the comp/module under the drivers seat. i also cut four small drain holes in the front and kept the same two factory grommeted holes in the middle of the vehicle... this is a great upgrade for mud and dirt... easy to do and super durable. i tough the material was not going to hold up well to the heat of the tranny and exhaust but has held for 5 months now no problem. i might apply this stuff to my whole xj if i am not careful...

For the guys that have done the whole interior how much of a heat increase is there coming form the tunnel with the liner ver. the carpet?
Karl

I can't speak for the guys who've done the whole thing, or even heat for that matter. But NOISE!, your gonna notice a little difference. and that's with only the back done lol

I'm sure the temp in the cabin has risen a little, but it def hasn't been enough to botehr me. In the summer I drive around with the doors off though so that sorta negates the heat, and in the winter its an added bonus. The tunnel does get warm but I've never had it get anywhere close enough t burn me. the noise isn't that bad in my opinion, but then again I've got now headiner, a chopped top, and claws-- so its pretty loud anyways :p

Back