• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cargo Area Boxes / Drawers

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you who have built cargo area storage systems from wood... Did you secure it to the floor with anything, or do you count on the weight of the unit to hold it in place? If you tie it down... what kinds of methods have you employed.

Thanks

i secured mine to the stock factory tie down points int he cargo area.. just used a 2-3" bolt+ washer + wing nut... mine secured down in 4 places..... and i put 4 tie downs ontop of the box itself....... for my spare tire...
oh.. and if you roll over.... what makes you think that the weight of the box wont keep it from killing you? SECURE IT DOWN!!!

That's partly why I was asking. Rollovers... fast bumps... I know it should be fastened down, I was curious about how most have done it.

Thanks for the info!

I have bolted mine to the inside panels in the jeep. I used "L" brackets to bolt it to the panels, some go through the metal, some just the plastic. I used a piece of plywood cut to the right size as my platform and I can slide my tire out from underneeth without moving anything. I also have room for a big wood drawer that I made that fits next to the tire. All the clothes and food stay dry even if I have to put a dirty spare tire back inside.

Everything should be tied down, even if you do not roll over.

Michael

I bolted a pair of seat belt locks to the sides of the box and use the rear belts to keep the whole mess from moving.

back of box is bolted thru floor like this:

angle.jpg

front of box is bolted thru the metal rear seat support. you can see the bolt at the bottom of this picture

bolt.jpg

hope that helps

No pics as of now, but I use a large box from Wally World. It is big enough to carry all my stuff, and is lockable. Also, it is tall enough that it wont go flying when I get in an accident as it wont fit above the seat, plus it is super heavy with all my gear.

Fergie

I just built my box large enough that it physically won't move up without the hatch open (deep enough so the angle of the rear seat keeps it in place) and also bought a Raingler net. Plus, I keep all my tools in there on the trail.

I did the same as jpfreak, but since I plan on rebuilding the box this spring to incorporate a tall storage box on the left side in place of the spare tire I will be fastening it down and working out a rattle-free way to lock the lid too.

Not the best photos, but I have a this box built in mine. Tied down with L-brackets.

rear1.JPG

rear2.JPG

rear3.JPG

Holds a 12 inch woofer, and the rear speakers. The box under the shovel and jack slides out like a drawer.

If anyone wants a closer look, let me know.

Daryl

Last edited:
Hey Darryl........

Get yer priorities straight would ya? Put the plywood away and get that tail light replaced! Didja ever get rear shocks or didja decide the heck with 'em?

:laugh3:

YELLAHEEP said:
Hey Darryl........

Get yer priorities straight would ya? Put the plywood away and get that tail light replaced! Didja ever get rear shocks or didja decide the heck with 'em?

:laugh3:

Troy, that box was back there when you last saw my Jeep.
I'm waiting to break one light or the other, to decide which type to use.
I did go to the salvage yard and stole a pair of shocks. Much better, for a while. But now I've bent one and dented the other. So the ride's really stiff.
So I am making some progress on the Jeep.

:D :D :D

Back