• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tie down suggestions for rear cargo area

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
I've been wanting to make a set up in my rear cargo area to hold down tools,
etc. so they were secure and easily accessable

I saw a rig with a shelf made of two by four supports running front to rear in the cargo area and plywood board on top held down by nylon cargo straps.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing except to have two levels of shelves
lower 13 inchs high, upper 7 inches, which should just come over the top of the seat of my 90 xj; I could store the tool boxes under the plywood shelves and the straps would hold everything down securely.

questions: any oither suggestions as to how to do this

I'm thinking of attaching D rings to the rear floor of the cargo area and the
middle of the back of the rear seat using nutserts for 1/4 inch bolts

Would I be better off using metal screws instead.

what other ways do people have to secure tool boxes etc in the cargo area and make them easily accessable

I used big self tappers to hold the d-rings to the floor and they have done some tough traveling in Australia and many KM's on corrugated tracks with no problems. My shelf is just like the one that you described. I also have a fridge on a pull out slide on top of it and with the fridge fully loaded and fully extended out the back of the XJ on the slide I have no problems with the tiedowns etc (the Fridge is 50lts and when fully stocked with beer can way 50kgs easy)

Cheers
Steve

aad.sized.jpg

I recomend nutzerts, easy to install and strong. Just ask FarmerMatt and his roof rack. Use them to hold down a D ring or what not.

I to am thinking about a shelf to separate the heavy stuff from the soft light stuff. I have the instructions from the Olympic Wilderness rack, it gives some good ideas. I'll post it later this morning on my web page.

I bought a few of the cargo floor factory D rings from people parting out XJs. I riveted them down to the floor and they hold very well.
I just bought a cargo net from an army surplus store for $25 that holds everything (tools, air tank, etc.) down while wheeling.

I used eye bolts and bolted them through the floor with fender washers. I have a husky cargo mat in the back and located the bolts so they were between the mat and the fender wells and left enough room to hook a tie down onto the eyebolt.

I used some semi stout d-rings I found at wal-mart. Sheetmetal screwed them down and never had a problem with my 80# toolbox moving about(even when I was on my top). Just make sure you don't go into the gas tank :flame:

Go visit your friendly bone yard. Chevy S-10 Blazers have one very solid ring in the center of the cargo area. Later model large Blazers have four. Great hooks, I've got 8 of them :)

another would be www.wraingler.com and get their cargo net system, but thats just an idea.

Here's the set up in the back of my XJ.

rear1.JPG

The covered board leaning on the right tail light is held down by a cheap slider bolt type of latch.
latch.JPG

I had problems with them sliding open when off road. So between two holes drilled on either side of the hole the bolt goes thru I put some light bungee cord. Then I just stretched the cord over the lever on the slide bolt. To make that easier to get a hold of I zipped a zip tie onto the cord.

rear2.JPG

And of course that is a pull out drawer.
rear3.JPG

The most I've tested this just by laying the Jeep on it's side. The drawer needed reorganizing, but nothing else moved.

A tie down system for the CO2 tank is under development.

Daryl

Way cool Daryl.....I may just copy that with a few minor mods. What's below the thumper tho'? (Your other brother? Sorry, couldn't resist.) Is that area accessed thru the backseat?
RJ

rj454 said:
What's below the thumper tho'? Your other brother? Sorry, couldn't resist.
RJ

Yea, that was funny (about 15 years ago)

rj454 said:
Way cool Daryl.....I may just copy that with a few minor mods. What's below the thumper tho'? Is that area accessed thru the backseat?
RJ

Thanks, This is most likely my last post this month. Going out of town for a while.
But if you have any questions about it let me know and I will try to get an answer for you as soon as I can. You are right that there is an area under the woofer that isn't all used up by the drawer, and if I ever needed to get to my air tank, I could access it from the back seat. I have a compressor from a Caddie's suspension under the hood, and it's piped back to the tank. That was my original OBA, but now with the CO2 it's just a back up.

RJ, my XJ will be available for inspection during the Colorado XJ fest this Aug. since I see that you in Colorado maybe we'll see you there?

Larry, Darrell and Daryl

Yup...I'll be there; already made my res @ Ridgeway. Look for a rattle-can black/ with white top XJ; maybe with canoe + kayak ontop. (Damn broken smileys)

Back