• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help w/ Alternator Bolt (99 XJ)

hkorion

NAXJA Forum User
So my alternator went out 2 weeks ago - figured it would be easy to replace. Got the top bolt out just find, but I cannot get the bottom bolt out. Everything I've seen says to take out the fan or come at it from the bottom, but i'm not pulling the fan and i've got a skid plate on the front that blocks access and that I can't get off....

Ended up breaking the lower alternator mount bracket as well trying to loosen things up. I have replacement parts all lined up, but need some help getting the current alternator out. Anyone in the Littleton area that might be willing to come by?? I can work on it at night, usually after 6.

So my alternator went out 2 weeks ago - figured it would be easy to replace. Got the top bolt out just find, but I cannot get the bottom bolt out. Everything I've seen says to take out the fan or come at it from the bottom, but i'm not pulling the fan and i've got a skid plate on the front that blocks access and that I can't get off....

Ended up breaking the lower alternator mount bracket as well trying to loosen things up. I have replacement parts all lined up, but need some help getting the current alternator out. Anyone in the Littleton area that might be willing to come by?? I can work on it at night, usually after 6.

I am a thousand + miles away so I am no physical help to you. However, I find tat by removing the battery and battery tray it is so much easier working on the alternator.

I am a thousand + miles away so I am no physical help to you. However, I find tat by removing the battery and battery tray it is so much easier working on the alternator.

+1 if you have aftermarket engine brackets or anything of the sort, then taking out the battery& battery tray makes short work of it. On a completely stock XJ you can twist the alternator the right way to get it out the bottom (without the factory skid plate) but may find it easier to come out through the battery area anyway.

+1 if you have aftermarket engine brackets or anything of the sort, then taking out the battery& battery tray makes short work of it. On a completely stock XJ you can twist the alternator the right way to get it out the bottom (without the factory skid plate) but may find it easier to come out through the battery area anyway.

I understand that. I have the large case 160 AMP alternator. With that alternator, space with which to work is very limited.

Already removed the battery / battery tray. Getting some penetrating oil and a breaker bar tomorrow, then applying heat and see if it'll loosen up.

Made progress tonight - got in there and cut the head of the bolt off with a small hacksaw. Snapped off the rest of the broken mount and was able to get the alternator and mount out. Got the new mount and alternator in, just need to pick up a new bolt tomorrow and put it all back together. What a pain in the rear.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Back