• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a question about stability

so, i have a question, right now im running RE's 5.5 x-duty long arm with 33x13.50r15 toyos on 15x8 in black steelies with 3.75 inch backspacing. i would like to have a little more stability on the trails w/o spending googles of money and w/o major modifications. so i did some research and i have found which what sounds like cheap alternatives.

1. 15x10's

2. wheel spacers

3. or get 15x8's with less backspacing.

or would going with 35's be the answer. thanks in advance for the help.

I personally like my 15x10s so ill vote for that.

Wheel spacers are some what looked down upon.

15x8s with less BS would be fine as well assuming you want to keep with 8" wide wheels.

and 35s are opening a whole can of worms so id say a no on that if your not trying to spend too much money.

a 13.5 wide tire should be pritty stable. What feels like it is unstable? Offcamber spots, might want to look into stiffer shocks or something

If you're already running 3.75" BS and feel it's "tippy" then it might be time to start looking at full-width axles.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I personally didn't really notice any more stability when I went from 15x8s with my 33x13.5R15 Toyos, to 15x10 (I did go from a 4.75" backspacing to a 4.0" backspacing, but I couldn't feel anything). As said before going full widths would help, or you could try stiffer shocks, or try Currie's Anti-rock sway bar.

shocks, springrate, swaybars and all that stuff can have a huge affect on stability, i've also 'heard' that well setup up three links and four links can feel more stable radius arms, as far as unloading on hills and what not.

mike

I personally didn't really notice any more stability when I went from 15x8s with my 33x13.5R15 Toyos, to 15x10 (I did go from a 4.75" backspacing to a 4.0" backspacing, but I couldn't feel anything). As said before going full widths would help, or you could try stiffer shocks, or try Currie's Anti-rock sway bar.

when you switch, did the 15x10s help the tires stick out to help protect the body and also do you think your chance of losing a bead any greater?

Increase your front spring rate and/or run an "anti-sway" kit like Currie or Tera-Flex!

so, i have a question, right now im running RE's 5.5 x-duty long arm with 33x13.50r15 toyos on 15x8 in black steelies with 3.75 inch backspacing. i would like to have a little more stability on the trails w/o spending googles of money and w/o major modifications. so i did some research and i have found which what sounds like cheap alternatives.

1. 15x10's

2. wheel spacers

3. or get 15x8's with less backspacing.

or would going with 35's be the answer. thanks in advance for the help.

I ran 35x12.5s with the same amount of lift, on basically the same rims, and for the most part it's never really felt unstable to me. I'm still running the good ol' RE drop-bracket setup though - I haven't gone long-arm yet. We're running the RE LA system on our TJ though, and it's never really felt very tippy either (in offcamber situations anyway), and it sits higher than my XJ (same tires and rims).

This felt real tippy:
DSC01760.jpg

This didn't though:
DSC02807.jpg

What RCP Phx said is about the only thing you can do to increase off-camber stability, other than going wider on the trackwidth or shorter on the lift. I've been wanting a Currie Anti-Rock front swaybar for quite a while, just don't have the $$$ for it. :laugh:

Last edited:
Back