• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Raptor Line the roof? (UV stability/resilience question)

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I have a couple rust spots on the roof of my 2001 from what were likely rock chips, and want to take action to prevent any further problems... Given the fact that re-painting the roof would be less than affordable (if done right), I'd like to use Raptor Liner instead. There are a couple pros to this:
  • No need to fret over further scratches, dings, or chips, especially when wheeling through low-hanging trees and brush/mesquite.
  • Protection from crap thrown on the factory roof rack.
My only concern is its UV stability/resilience... Has anyone done this, and if so, how long as it held up thus far? I'm thinking this is a stupid question since it's bed liner (which is almost always exposed to sunlight on most trucks), but I could definitely use some input.

Thanks in advance!

Black vehicle, planning on going with black Raptor Liner. I think it'd be a subtle change if anything since the sheen of Raptor Liner seems to be a textured semi-gloss look.

Ive had raptor on my lower doors and front bumper for a while now. Its super glossy black at first, and will fade a little to a (IMO) more desirable less glossy (but still gloss) black. It held up fine up until a few weeks ago when I went over it with monstaliner. I also bedlined the roof with monstaliner, so far i like it better than raptor mainly because it cures much faster. I wouldnt worry about it fading too much.

I was in the same boat with the rusted out roof thanks to rocks, cant go wrong with bedliner no matter what you use. I spent more time prepping the roof than actually bedlining. Hand sanded the whole thing with 80grit, put down some chassis saver, and then bedliner on top of that.

Thanks for the info - you said it "held up fine until a few weeks ago" - what was the reason behind throwing a coat of Monstaliner on top? Was it starting to fade or chip or anything?

It chipped off on the crease of the doors where I must have missed sanding. I had a ton of monstaliner left, so i just went over anything that was easy. It wasnt really faded, it was a really thin coat of raptor originally so I threw the monstaliner on top of it just for the sake of not wanting to waste it.

I should have said rather that it is still holding up and adhering fine... you just cant see it anymore!

Has anyone every bedlined the inside of the roof? Taken out the headliner and just bedlined above? Been thinking about doing this just seeing if anyone has done it before.

Yeah I dont know about using herculiner...its too thin for the roof, would definitely need something thicker so it wont slop down on you. :)

If you removed the headliner what do you put in place to keep the sun from baking you like a oven?

I have the outside done on the roof in herculiner and its crap. I dislike herucliner very much, it has since faded and even deteriorated in spots. I lined my roof b/c the paint was peeling and flaking all over causing rust spots. I have thought about redoing it plenty of times in a higher quality liner such as upol or monstaliner. In a spot such as the roof, where it gets direct sunlight everyday, Im not sure there is any product that wont fade somewhat.

Ive done the inside of my roof. PO took out the headliner, and it looked like crap. So I just got some leftover bedliner and lined the roof with it. So far I much prefer the bedliner then no liner at all. But my jeep is painted OD green so, it works well.

Got any pics? did you only do one coat?

I did 2 coats, but I did it with a brush, not a roller. I didnt have a roller and was lazy to go out and buy one. It turned out a lot better than I had thought. But I dont have real high expectations to it to be honest. I jsut didnt like looking at the unpainted metal when I looked up. I can snap some pics of it tomorrow. Also i noticed the roof used to get unbearably hot during the summer, so much that you cant touch it (from the inside). After I lined it, it dissipated the heat nicely and you could touch it without burning yourself.

yeah i removed my headliner to weld up the holes after removing the roof rack. Dont like the usc color red. I already bed lined the bottom been thinking about doing the roof too. If you can post up some pics, curious to see what parts you didnt do, a and b pillars too, etc..Did you end up cutting out that headliner support bar?

I have a test panel of raptor liner that I left out in the backyard for about a year and a half now. Still looks like the day I shot it.

Since it's a 2 part catalyzed urethane, you could always mix in some clearcoat for even better protection.

I have a test panel of raptor liner that I left out in the backyard for about a year and a half now. Still looks like the day I shot it.

Since it's a 2 part catalyzed urethane, you could always mix in some clearcoat for even better protection.

Tinted or regular Raptor? Got a picture?

Back