• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Cooling Fans

andyszafran

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking for an electric fan that pulled a little more air than the stock fan. Mine is just about locked up. I don't know how many cfm's the stock one pulls to compare anything I might find online.
Thanks for the help guys.

People have done it, do a google search.

I also know someone that tried a few electric fans in place of their mechanical fan, and ended up tearing it up because the studs on the origional mechanical fan pully were too long.....

So be careful....

Ford Taurus fan. 1992-1995 I believe. I just bought one from the junk yard. Get the 3.8L fan, not the 3.0. They are different, and the 3.8L kicks ass.
I built some custom bracketry, and trimmed the shroud alot. it works well.
It'll suck a piece of paper off my workbench from 4 feet away, and stick to my grill. No shit.

I only have about 1/2" of clearance for one of my pulleys, but it's ok.
I was a bitch to get mounted correctly. I had to remove the belt and a couple pulleys to make the install easier. BE CAREFUL - DON'T LET THE CENTER OF THE FAN GET TOO CLOSE TO THE RADIATOR.
I tipped my rad. forward about 1/2" to make more room.

They require some pretty tricky wiring. They are two speed fans, so the "high" wire require one relay, a HUGE continuous duty 85amp relay, it's a huge metal cased round gismo around $25 or so. And the "low" wire requires a normal small 30amp black relay.
Ther are write ups all over, but all are different. You need to do some research and pick what you'd like to do.

I'm using a 3 position toggle, for high... low and off.
Some guys use two seperate toggles, one for high and one for low.

good luck man, it's a good upgrade from what I've been told. I haven't had the old Jeep out yet, but id seems to pull alot of air so I hope it'll keep me down at 210.

barillms Do you have nay pics? I've never seen pics of this swap, but I have a tuarus fan in my garage... but it looks way to big! I would like to swap it in, but...

barillms said:
I was a bitch to get mounted correctly. I had to remove the belt and a couple pulleys to make the install easier...

Hmmm... ;^]

Yo andyszafran...

Are you talking about replacing the stock electric, mechanical, or both?
If it's the electric, the later model with the curved "S" blades pulls more cfm than the earlier model. Check out Dr. Dyno's site...

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com

Last edited:
Replacing both. The Taurus fan is a very common mod.
The mech. fan comes off. The stock elect. comes off. This bad boy replaces both. It's used on hot rods and and many vehicles because it's such a powerful fan. 2 speed, does the trick.
Search on here for "taurus fan" or google for "taurus fan jeep" or something like that, and you get some results.
I have no pics now, but I can take some.
There is plenty of info online about this swap.
Mine was $40 at the junk yard and it's pretty big, but it fits fine with some crafty cutting an some negro intelligence.

andyszafran said:
I was looking for an electric fan that pulled a little more air than the stock fan. Mine is just about locked up. I don't know how many cfm's the stock one pulls to compare anything I might find online.
Thanks for the help guys.

What year is your XJ? The later model ones had 10 blades and were stronger. If you are looking at also replacing your machincal fan then I have a write up about doing that too. www.go.jeep-xj.info

why not a electric flex-a-lite fan with a temp senor in the rad core with a manual overide switch??sounds a lot easier,works great in my v8 powered import truck

DSC00531.jpg

8 S blade fan on the driver side from a 94 XJ paired with a 10 S blade fan from a 97 XJ. I have the 10 blade fan triggered through a relay signal supplied by the aux fans' hot wire. If I come across another 10 blade I may as well upgrade the 8 blade just b/c they're so cheap. This all done on a 90 Renix 4l.

Slo-Sho said:
8 S blade fan on the driver side from a 94 XJ paired with a 10 S blade fan from a 97 XJ. I have the 10 blade fan triggered through a relay signal supplied by the aux fans' hot wire. If I come across another 10 blade I may as well upgrade the 8 blade just b/c they're so cheap. This all done on a 90 Renix 4l.

ok but the aux fan doesnt fire til like 213 degrees, id want my primary coming on sooner

Jason-RJR said:
ok but the aux fan doesnt fire til like 213 degrees, id want my primary coming on sooner

Why?, You don't think 18 degrees is a good enough threshold? The OEM thermostat is rated at 195, when do you think would be a good idea for the fans to come on, 200F??? This setup hasn't given me a lick of trouble and the improved mpg's and less drag on the accessory drive are major pluses. The fans don't run while cruising and surprisingly don't run that often while idling. YMMV, To each his own, Different strokes for different folks, blah blah blah.:wave:

I run dual taurus AUX fans. Dual speed, blah blah. I've only had them on in the winter, and only ever had to run one at the low speed. As it is, running it constant kept the engine too cold. Must be the highly effiecent closed cooling system.

P1010498.jpg

P1010499.jpg

P1010500.jpg

I moved the radiator foreward about 2" and cut the support back a bit. Then I built the new frame for the fans. It slips into the old holders and screws in place at the top. I will sheetmetal up the holes in it if it is every a problem (yeah right).

How is the height of those fans? Looking at the fan I have, It looks like it would hang a couple inches below the rad...

What year fans are those?

DirtyMJ said:
I run dual taurus AUX fans. Dual speed, blah blah. I've only had them on in the winter, and only ever had to run one at the low speed. As it is, running it constant kept the engine too cold. Must be the highly effiecent closed cooling system.

P1010498.jpg

P1010499.jpg

P1010500.jpg

I moved the radiator foreward about 2" and cut the support back a bit. Then I built the new frame for the fans. It slips into the old holders and screws in place at the top. I will sheetmetal up the holes in it if it is every a problem (yeah right).

Back