• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please share photos of your cargo area.

Mike H.

NAXJA Forum User
I'm considering fabricating a box for the cargo area.
Possibly 1 large drawer bolted thru the floor, with seldom used items in it (spare laid flat, jumper cables whatever) but easy access via drawer slides.
Atop this, I'd like secure tie downs for wheeling day items (tool boxes, cooler, shovel/axe/saw/hi-lift etc.)
Care to share your inventions for thought?

What Size spare are you going to try and fit in that drawer... you're gunna have fun with anything over above a 31. I want to make a rack to fit overtop of my sub box...

Probably not what your looking for as far as showing off my custom parts, but a good opportunity to show off my cool cargo box ;) its perfect for jumpers, tools, TP etc etc

I bought my first cherokee from a guy and that jeep had the box, so naturally when I sold the jeep, I kept the box (knowing I was getting another jeep)

I've never seen them anywhere else before...however I was browsing craigslist a couple weeks ago and saw a cherokee for sale and it looked like it had the same box in the rear.

LOL on the pennsyl-tucky as well...my GF and I have been calling PA that ever since our trip to maine and through con-tucket. haha

The toolbox is definately made to go there, it fits the contours of the interior and all. has a hole in the back to utilize the little 'cubby' space that people mount sub boxed in and stuff.

As for mine, the lock doesnt work, no key. It had no mounting hardware (I just screwed it in place) I've tried searching for one everywhere with no luck, so sorry i cant help on any leads of where to find one.

my cousin in PA has that same box

A little messy but if you can get the spare out of the back you can fit alot in there, I use an action packer box , fits perfect for me and doesn't move around, I plan on modifying the old spare mount with a chainsaw clamp off a quad to easily store my saw, jack all goes under seat
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I use tupperware! Don't laugh its cheap, I can see whats in it and my spare fluids will not leak out of it.

gear5zs1.jpg
gear6ca1.jpg
gear3rv5.jpg

My tools and sealed drain pan are in the pass. side rear floorboard strapped down as well. I can fit 3 of us in there comfortably.

I just bought a universal rubber cargo mat from wal-fart.......doesnt even need to be trimmed, it is a little too big, but it ride up the sides and the back of the rear seat.....so it keeps any liquids that spill from soaking the floor....it was only 25 bucks too......me and my GF sleep in the back of my Jeep during trout season camping, so theres not much else back there in the spring.......im 5' 11' and i fit back there reall well, you can almost stretch out, but not quiet.......oh well, i have heat, tunes, im dry, and i use my spare tire for my "indoors" beer can holder.

RustyRocker said:
I just bought a universal rubber cargo mat from wal-fart.......doesnt even need to be trimmed, it is a little too big, but it ride up the sides and the back of the rear seat.....so it keeps any liquids that spill from soaking the floor....it was only 25 bucks too......me and my GF sleep in the back of my Jeep during trout season camping, so theres not much else back there in the spring.......im 5' 11' and i fit back there reall well, you can almost stretch out, but not quiet.......oh well, i have heat, tunes, im dry, and i use my spare tire for my "indoors" beer can holder.

I sleep in mine as well and everything in the back including the shelf and headache rack comes out in 15 min with no tools. I hate pitching a tent after wheelin' all day. Its a lot dryer in the heep as well.

Does anyone use a mountaineer rack or trunk rack to lay their spare ON TOP and place things underneath? It would take out rear window visibility just as a tire carrier would but thats not a big deal. It also wouldnt be the safest thing to have your spare on top in a collision but if it was built right it could be made strong enough to handle it.

Like this with the spare in the top. Maybe a flat rack without the basket sides would be better?
907-4.jpg

Back