• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another DW but read anyway

hawaiian89xj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok this is on my Rubi (I know it is not a XJ but I own two of those) I just put the Skyjacker Rock Crusher 4" in today, It is a single flex, also put on a set of 33x12.5 X-terrains. after the lift we drove it around the block a few times and seemed fine, but when we went on the freeway at 31 MPH it got the dredded DW, stopped on the side of the road and checked the torque of everything all was fine, then proceeded on the FW again this time it starts about 40. So my questions what could it be, Its a brand new vehicle less than 1000 mile and the bushings in the lift are new so i know it is not them trac bar seems fine and I had the tires re balanced still there, so you guys got any ideas?

I got to "Rubi" and puked. :puke: But I'll continue anyway, lol. I've driven mine with loose control arms, way stressed out & worn stock TB w/8" lift, no shocks (going to flex test location) and everything else you can have wrong on the front end. The ONLY time I've ever experienced DW with it was when the toe was wrong. First check everything else including castor and adjust your upper arms if necessary, THEN CHECK YOUR TOE.

The uppers are still stock, the stupid kit only came with the lowers, and i hate to sound like a newb but what exactly it the toes?

While you are having the front end looked at...have the new tires checked for true (roundness).

Swap your tires, front to rear and try it again. If the shaking started without hitting a bump, rut, etc, then it's very likely something to do with the tires. Out of balance, out of round, not dynamically balanced, bent wheel, etc.

hawaiian89xj said:
The uppers are still stock, the stupid kit only came with the lowers, and i hate to sound like a newb but what exactly it the toes?

Toe-in is the steering adjustment that sets the amount your tires toe in toward each other at the front of the tire. You want to take a tape measure and check at the front & back of the tire in the same spot on the tire. You should have a difference of only about an 1/8" less at the front of the tire vs. the back. Check the factory manual for exact toe-in setting.

This would be caused by the lame inverted Y steering on new Heeps that allows toe to change when you lift the vehicle.

Hope that helps. :D

Back