• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 XJ AW4 Transmission Cooler Line

Matt_West

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
I gave my wife a nice XJ for Christmas... and on parking after her first drive I noticed it was puking ATF. On examination it appears that there is a transmission cooler line that runs under a cooling fan on the drivers side. The rubber part has come in contact with the rotating rim of the fan and sprung a leak.

I would appreciate some friendly advice on the repair. Things like to drain or not drain the tranny. Any particular ATF recommended. Where to source the line from. Tips on disconnecting the line (Never seen this particular hose end..) Here is a link to an online catalogue showing a kit that contains the line I am describing.

http://www.teamcherokee.com/Transmission/index.html

Thanks,
Matt

I have a 94 XJ Country and have the same Problem that recently just fixed. You can buy Power Steering hose from the Dealership and use that as a Patch Job. You should be able to use, as I recall, 3/8" Power Steering Hose to fix neatly over the metal Tranny Return Line from one end to the other. The Power steering hose will hold up to the detergents in transmission fluid.
You will need a seal kit for the trans line that will be found at the Dealership too.

I have removed that line/connection on all 4 of my XJ's due to leaks. If the hose doesn't leak the fitting "O" rings will sooner or latter.

Get some 3/8" (about 3 foot long)tranny cooler hose and remove the connection at the radiator(squeeze in the 2 tabs and pull out) then cut the hard line with a tubing cutter just before the flex line. Slide the hose over the hard line about 3" or so and double clamp it, then trim to fit the other end onto the radiator connection(make sure you slide the hose over the ridge on the fitting) then double clamp there also(one on each side of the ridge)

To remove the the electric fan, remove the 2 screws at the top radiator support, uplug it, then slide it up and out. Make sure you route the new hose between the fan shroud and the steering box. I also cover the hose with some old heater hose(3/4") in this area just to protect it.

BTW, the proper fluid is Dexron III. Do not use ATF4+ or a "universal" fluid which is meant for Chrysler trannies, because the AW4 tranny in the XJs is not a Chrysler made tranny. The advice on cutting the hard lines just before the soft/hard crimp and replumbing with power steering hose is a good one. You shouldn't need to drain the tranny, although you'll need to replace whatever you lose when opening the cooler lines.

Small problem...

I can't find the small tabs inside the collar of the female connector to actuate the release and free the male pipe coming out the lower part of the transmission cooler.

I can slide the female end of the hose a couple of millimeters back and forth on the pipe it is attached to but I am unable to decouple. Do I just need to get the female connector sliding with more verve to effect the release? Or is there some other trick... I don't want to fatigue the male connector and snap it at the base...

Also I am recieving directly contradictory advice on the lubrication fluid to use for the tranny... some are saying ATF+4 and as above some are advising Dexron III... more feedback on this point is also desired.

Sorry if this sounds too much like 8th grade health sciences, but explicit directions would be most appreciated...

Last edited:
Ack! Just hopped off the phone with the Jeep dealer's parts counter... he swears the factory fill was ATF +3 which has been superceded by ATF +4. This is the same advice I am getting at NAPA and from a friend... SlackerXJ / Ian...

I have three saying ATF +4 and two saying Dexron III. More detail and specific cites would be appreciated...

Ok I have been searching this forum and apparently this is a well hashed point... my wife is also finding the same information on other forums.

The consensus is that Dexron III is the correct fluid... apparently there is a Chrysler Technical Service Bulletin to this point. Would love it if somebody could enrich the knowledge base here with cite to the TSB.

Anyway thanks for steering me to the correct fluid.

The owners manual and FSM say Dex IIe. The drain plug on the tranny is also stamped IIe. The dealer is wrong and so is the guy at NAPA. They are all assuming the AW4 is a Chrysler-built tranny and uses ATF+4 which was designed for Chrysler trannies. TSB 21-006-01 says to use ATF+4 in all trannies _except_ the AW4.

You can search these for forums and find a number of posting about ATF+4 causing shifting problems (as well as a few odd posts swearing it works just fine).

I was able to get new lines from NAPA, but am unable to get all of the clips loose. Some have broken, all are filled with dirt. Were these things designed by Satan? Anyway, any advice on getting these things out?

Back