• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd conversion...just saw a couple of issues..

01classicxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I am closer to starting on the finish of my 2wd to 4wd conversion. So i went to my storage to look at the 1999 tranny/transfercase sitting there. They are still mated. Wiring harness, dipstick tube in there as well. Pulled both driveshafts off to make handling easier. It's laying across a four wheel dolly. My question is about hooking up the speedometer that the sensor is now in the transfer case. It has three spade connector and what is the other big round thing with a plug sitting straight up on the transfer case. I crawled under my cherokee and looked at the 2wd connections. It seems that my speedometer connection might stretch further back once i install the 4wd tranny /transfer case. I unplugged my 2wd connection and it has three spades as well. Is this correct?

When I did my 4wd swap, I took out the entire sensor from the tailshaft, as my donor tranny had an electronic one, and mine was cable, and installed my entire unit from the old to the new. Hope this helps.

I swapped the sensor from my 00 2wd trans into whatever t-case i swapped in and went with it

So i figured out the other connection on the transfer case might be the VIC. I can get away with not hooking that up right? I dont think it directly effects the 4 wd system. I dont need a light telling me what range i'm in.

Back