• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 34: D44 hubs & brakes on D30 Knuckle

as fas as i have seen, the brakes on TTB are built into the knuckle casting.

Do you have the measurements on the spindle Pilot diameters(Part that sticks into the knuckle) and the Diameter of the hole in the Dana knuckle. I have a set of Chevy 10 bolt spindles for a 90 Suburban the Pilot is a lot smaller the unit bearing Pilot. I am waiting to get some jeep D44 spindles in the mail to check them if they will work.

how the hell did I not see this thread? This is awesome.

Dan Turner @ Loose Nuts Enterprises did this some years ago to convert his dana 30 to 6 lug. It seemed to work out pretty well.

It looks like you did a quality job. Too bad you couldnt get dana 44 balljoints out of the deal. People have done that using a CJ Dana 30 inner C pressed onto the tube, but it requires a custom length inner axle shaft.
Aren't 44 balljoints the same as 30 balljoints, just pressed into the knuckle instead of the inner C? I could swear they are, or very close dimension wise.

Stupid question. I've always looked at dana 30 knuckles and scratched my head and thought I could probably fit a bigger U-joint through that hole. Never actually measured it though I can do so tomorrow. What do you think the chances of fitting a dana 60 style U-joint through the dana 30 knuckle is? I doubt I'll ever break a 30 ring gear on 33s, probably on 35s if I was going to run them on a 30, but it'd be real nice to have, say, 30 spline shafts, 60-size U-joints, and spindles/hubs/lockouts/44 brakes/WJ steering on a 30 for 33" tires (or more, if you are nicer to it.)

Aren't 44 balljoints the same as 30 balljoints, just pressed into the knuckle instead of the inner C? I could swear they are, or very close dimension wise.

No.

Stupid question. I've always looked at dana 30 knuckles and scratched my head and thought I could probably fit a bigger U-joint through that hole. Never actually measured it though I can do so tomorrow. What do you think the chances of fitting a dana 60 style U-joint through the dana 30 knuckle is? I doubt I'll ever break a 30 ring gear on 33s, probably on 35s if I was going to run them on a 30, but it'd be real nice to have, say, 30 spline shafts, 60-size U-joints, and spindles/hubs/lockouts/44 brakes/WJ steering on a 30 for 33" tires (or more, if you are nicer to it.)

What are you smoking?

Yeah like was said earlier, I have a set of Wagoneer spindles and they are too small. Thanks for the comments guys, I have been on this for about 7k now and I love it. Highway driving is phenomenally smooth

I don't have exact numbers, but I would speculate it is about 2 or 2.5 inches wider. I will try to get a straight on view of it. I added spacer adapters to the rear, and they are pretty even

I had a question regarding the D30 knuckle. Did you have to grind or cut some of the spindle to make clearance for the larger brake pads, Caliper etc? i looks like in the pics there has been material removed from the caliper mount side to make room. Thanks in advance!

I had a question regarding the D30 knuckle. Did you have to grind or cut some of the spindle to make clearance for the larger brake pads, Caliper etc? i looks like in the pics there has been material removed from the caliper mount side to make room. Thanks in advance!

No material was removed from the spindle other than to fit it into the knuckle. The spindle to brake bracket fitup was not altered in any way. Also, I checked WMS-WMS and it came to 63 inches. So an additional 3 inches to the width.

well, crap, now I'm gonna have to start looking for another set of WJ knuckles and some Ford spindles .... I just snagged a HP30 for $50 out of an 89 limited so I know where that build is going.
Awesome work, thanks for the write up.

Question: Since I have to get parts from the junk yard anyway i could theoretically get 3/4 ton hubs spindles etc and run 8 lug junk correct?

In theory... But I see no reason to.

Just thinking outloud here... Ford 8 lug requires a very large spindle and lockout. I dont think the d30 knuckles has enough material. I think you'll be mixing and matching backing plates and or spindles. Chevy has a large and small bearing spindle. The large bearing is meant for 8 lug hubs. The chevy small bearing is meant for 6 lug, but uses the same bearings and lockout as the ford 5 lug. Which is now most people wanting high steer use chevy knuckles, but can still run ford 5on5.5. Your really gaining nothing from creativ an 8 lug d30. Your still running a d44 stub regardless. And a 5on4.5 to 5on5.5 spacer can be bought. Good luck finding one to convert your rear to 8 lug. And if you really need a 3/4 ton or 1 ton rear, the 30 doesn't compliment at all.

I agree with Va. There is no reason to on the D30... The brakes are bigger and what not, but it will also require 16" or bigger wheels due to caliper size. That said, don't let me stand in the way if you want to try it.

How much would this cost to replicate? And the bolt pattern changes but with adapters could stock wheels still be run? 15x7 5.25" of back spacing. I've been looking at the warn kit but its not cheap. Also heard something about Reid's knuckles & and ems kit but haven't looked much into them.

Jeep wheels aren't hub centric... Their center bore isn't big enough to fit over the locking hub. Most stock wheels wont fit the aftermarket kits meant for the D30 either. The people that i have seen with them tupically run aftermarket or ranger wheels. Your better off running 5on5.5 and spacing the rear with adaptors to match the width.

Back