• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modified the front fenders, any reason to do the rear?

1990Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I removed the front flares, wheel wells and cut off an inch and a half of the fender because my tires were rubbing. Not anymore, looks great and functions perfect. I was wondering if there is any reason to remove the rear flares and cut the fender? I am running 31x10.50 BF Goodrich AT KO's on 15x8 wheels and a 3" lift kit. 1990 Pioneer XJ cherokee. As far as I can tell they are not rubbing, I haven't put serious flex on the rear yet though. Technically I don't think I should have to trim the rear. Anyone have any issues with the rear tires of this size on that lift rubbing? Thanks again.

flex it to the bumpstops (or fenders) If the tires rub trim or add bump stop.
use a loading dock.. Or the side of a driveway that goes underground.. (like old basement garages)

I am running the same tire on a 4" lift and bump stopped the rear and front a bit so I wouldn't rub.. Will be cutting (front and back) when I go up to 33" tires..

when my lift was new I couldn't get it to flex the rear all the way to the stops.. After it broke in it does nicely.

one of my front flares got knocked off on a trail so I removed the other.. I still have the rears. And my ride still looks clean on the street. Looks good with the front tires showing out the side a bit... (Running 4.24" bs. Cragar wheels)

mines a 01 since yours is the older body I believe I read you have a little more room.. Either way flex it and look to see what's up.. Had people telling me I didn't need to bumpstop. But it rubbed during hard flexing till I did

Last edited:
Back