• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Raising up a bumper to install

Greenspan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Bought an ARB Bullbar and a winch. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to lift up the bumper to install it? Shipping info says the bumper is 170lbs and the winch is another 70. I have a jack but it'll probably be dicey balancing it on that. Saw a lift table at harbor freight for 180, probably the best solution but would rather not buy that just for this one job. Do any places rent lifts or hoists that I could use?

I opted for engine hoist:

DodgeBumperInstall8OPT.jpg

The winch is about 130 lbs. The bumper probably around 400 lbs. Conservatively, call it 500 lbs for the whole package.

Balancing that on a jack was not an option I was willing to entertain.

The hoist gave me all the control I needed.

(And yes, I know, slightly different from an XJ. But it does have an inline 6.)

Free pizza and beer usually works to gather a crowd.

Free pizza and beer usually works to gather a crowd.

^^^

Only need a couple of buddies for long enough to get 1 bolt in per side, then the rest is easy peasy.

or you could use the engine lift method shown....or set the bumper on jack stands and use the jack to raise & lower the jeep to meet it......

What part of LA are you in, and when do you plan to do the install? If not too far from me and if schedules work out, I'd be willing to lend a hand. Two guys holding it and one guy to slide some bolts into place should get it done pretty easily. But two guys could probably handle it with a little ingenuity.

Yeah, I like the engine hoist idea but I don't have one of those lying around, can you rent those anywhere? I may have to get creative and try and engineer something. I'm in Redondo, free pizza + beer is an option too, but I was just curious if there was a good mechanical option

a come along to the garage ceiling or favorite tree is another option. recently put mine back on with a friend holding one side while I held the other and started a few bolts

Mine went thusly:

1. Make DIY bumper
2. Attempt to lift bumper into place with manpower.
3. Realize DIY bumper warped a little during final welding.
4. Put bumper back on the ground.
5. "Stress relieve" frame mounts with torch.
6. Repaint bumper.
7. Lift bumper into place while kicking bolts around.
8. Realize bolts are now out of reach.
9. Realize you're not as limber as you used to be.
10. Reach bolts with toes anyway.
11. Place bumper corner on shoulder while trying to insert bolts.
12. Ouch, this hurts, back to supporting bumper with arms.
13. Try again and succeed.
14. Other side falls down, wedging bumper into place.
15. Start over at #7.
16. Eventually realize that putting it on a floor jack face down and lifting so the rear-most holes line up, then rotating into place is a better tactic.
17. Finish.

Let me know how that works... :D

Mine went thusly:

1. Make DIY bumper
2. Attempt to lift bumper into place with manpower.
3. Realize DIY bumper warped a little during final welding.
4. Put bumper back on the ground.
5. "Stress relieve" frame mounts with torch.
6. Repaint bumper.
7. Lift bumper into place while kicking bolts around.
8. Realize bolts are now out of reach.
9. Realize you're not as limber as you used to be.
10. Reach bolts with toes anyway.
11. Place bumper corner on shoulder while trying to insert bolts.
12. Ouch, this hurts, back to supporting bumper with arms.
13. Try again and succeed.
14. Other side falls down, wedging bumper into place.
15. Start over at #7.
16. Eventually realize that putting it on a floor jack face down and lifting so the rear-most holes line up, then rotating into place is a better tactic.
17. Finish.

Let me know how that works... :D

That is pretty much my current plan. I have the pizza boy on speed dial and a case of beer as a backup plan. Bumper should arrive Friday, I'll let you know how it goes.

Back