• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Seat Stuck

RustyRocker

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 Cherokee Sport.......the back seat always worked fine, folding up and all of that.......now all of a sudden, it wont fold.......the seat part wont flip forward.....i have jumpers and some other junk under the seat, but i cant think of anything thats under there that could be holding it from opening......i climbed into the back seat, and literally pulled as hard as i could, and itll move up a little, but theres something holding it.......i sleep i the back of my Jeep during trout season, and regular camping, so i need to get this baby folding again, before April, lol.....thanks in advance!

Don't take this the wrong way but I figured I would make sure... You are pulling the little loop that releases the lock that holds the seat bottom down right? Or do the older models not work like that? Just curious because it could have not been latching before, so your method worked but now all of a sudden it latched...

If you are pulling the loop right and the latch is stuck... it could be that you have too much under it and it is applying upward force keeping you from unlatching it... If this is the case, try to sit in the seat and then pull the loop that unlatches it.

Now im gonna sound stupid, lol, but i have no clue if theres a latch for the seat bottum or not.......i know for the seat back there is, but the bottom? i have no clue really......i had an 89 and this one is a 92....all i ever did was reach in, grab the seat anywhere, and both of them would fold up, lol....not now tho.......i thought the loops were just a place to give you something to grab onto? Hell, i dont know, lol....maybe both my jeeps had seats that didnt latch......i am gonna try having someone sit on it, while im pulling up......it has to be some of my junk under there holding it, but since i cant get it even half way folded, i cant see under there.......what a stupid proble, but its major to me since i sleep back there, lol.....thanks for the reply!

My daughters 92 has a little cut out on each side of the bottom part. It has a little loop thing that you have to pull and it then unlocks it. I do not have a pic plus my name is not red so I can not post anyway.

Thanks......my seat has those cuts too.....if i remeber right, my 89 had two loops made from the seat material sewn on there, but my 92 it just has two cuts....i figured the loops were just torn or ripped off of it.....il have to stick my finger in there and see if i can feel anything......i havent messed with it much yet, its winter and all, so no camping.......but it sucks not being able fold it.....you dont realize how much you need that extra space til the damn thing wont lay flat, lol........thanks guys!

You have to flip the seat bottom forward befor the seat back will fold down.

Once the seat bottom is unlatched you can remove it entirely by releasing the lever on the passenger side bottom mounting point for the seat. Then lift up and pull the seat out. Will give you more headroom. Alone with pushing the front seats forward.... Sleep with your head at the hatch.

I tried sleeping in th back of my Heep twice and could never fully stretch my legs. I'm not even tall at only 5-10. So either you guys are shorter then I or my heep is shorter(unlikely). Yes I did have the front seats all the way up and even layed diagonally.

Jeepm@n said:
I tried sleeping in th back of my Heep twice and could never fully stretch my legs. I'm not even tall at only 5-10. So either you guys are shorter then I or my heep is shorter(unlikely). Yes I did have the front seats all the way up and even layed diagonally.

2 door or 4 door. :paperwork

Yeah, you cant stretch out the whole way with the hatch closed, but if its warm enuff, i sleep with the hatch open, throw an old tarp ovet the hatch incase it rains, put a 12 pack of beer up there to hold down the hatch.....if its cold, which it usually is in PA for trout season, i sleep with the hatch closed, me and my GF can both fit in there.....shes shorter, so she can stretch out, im 5' 11"......we both fit, even with the spare still in there, and you have tunes, heat, and stay dry......and the spare doubles as a beer can holder, lol......im gonna play with the seat today, ill let you all know if i get it unstuck or not.....its going to the shop in the AM for two drive shaft U joints.........:mad:

Damn.....im BACK IN BIZ! I feel like a total ass......took a whole 5 mins to get it to flip up, once i stuck my finger in the hole, i found the joop, and bam, all set! It must not have ever been locking before, and my old 89 was the same....i coild just pull the seat from any spot, and it would open right up.......and i never knew about the catch that is on the passenger side to take it the whole way out......damn, ive had Jeeps for the last 6 years, folded the seat pretty often, and i never knew this about my rigs, lol......usually i just pound the hell out of Jeeps, put them away wet, and if they still drive, im good to go.....maybe i should take the time to learn the basics of my Jeep, like the rear seat thing, lol, jk......thanks to all for posting, helped safe my trout season! Oh, and its a 2 door, for the guy that was asking.....2 and 4 doors are the same wheel base tho, so same room inside........oh, one more thing.......if you use enuff pillows kinda propped up on the folded seat back, you have a Red Neck Craft-Matic! Really is comfortable!

I know 2 door and 4 doors are the same. It was a joke.

Back