• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems Removing Track-bar Bracket

BrianJr

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a Rubicon Express HD Track-bar and bracket. However, I have had no luck getting the original backet's bolts to come loose. I have tried PB Blaster, using a steel pipe on a breaking bar, and an impact gun. No luck.

Does anyone have any ideas for removing really stuborn bolts?

Thanks,
-Brian

BTW: I do not have a torch (or any skill with one) and there is not enough room for a angle-grinder.

Use a torch, and get them cherry hot. When it is red hot touch some Wax to the bolt. It should suck it into the thread through capillary action. Something like that. When it cools the bolt wont' be allowed to expand because the wax is in there and it should come out...

We all hope :)

There are so many different ways to free frozen bolts but each bolt needs that "one" special technique and it is sometimes hard to find which one that is. A bolt that can withstand an impact gun has to be in there pretty good. Try to apply some heat with a propane torch before using the impact again. (Is PB Blaster flammable?)

BrianJr said:
BTW: I do not have a torch

Sounds like you need to go visit santa at the mall...

I've never heard of this trick but it sounds neat - have you done it? What type of wax did you use? My guess is that the wax doesn't provent the steel from changing size as much as it lubricates the threads.

I don't supposed a little hand-held pocket butaine torch will heat the nut up enough... :jester:
-Brian

HodgePodge said:
Use a torch, and get them cherry hot. When it is red hot touch some Wax to the bolt. It should suck it into the thread through capillary action. Something like that. When it cools the bolt wont' be allowed to (edit:shrink) because the wax is in there and it should come out...

I hate to tell you this, but once you do get that RE HD mount installed you are going to have a problem keeping those bolts tight! I used their track bar for two years and I had to tighten those bolts up after every trail. You'd be much better off leaving that stock mount on there and just modify the mount to accept an ORGS or similar track bar. The stock track bar mount is very strong and absorbs stress much better than RE. I'd see if you can get a return on that RE bracket. If you still want to get the old one off, use an impact wrench and be prepared to drill out any broken bolts. Are you in the rust belt?

BrianJr said:
I bought a Rubicon Express HD Track-bar and bracket. However, I have had no luck getting the original backet's bolts to come loose. I have tried PB Blaster, using a steel pipe on a breaking bar, and an impact gun. No luck.

Does anyone have any ideas for removing really stuborn bolts?

Thanks,
-Brian

BTW: I do not have a torch (or any skill with one) and there is not enough room for a angle-grinder.

i just use an old candle my Girlfriend had, one of those huge smelly ones. THe wax gets in the threads between the nut and bolt, not allowing the nut to shrink as far as the bolt.. Hopefully getting it out. Its worked for me like 3 times out of 10 maybe. But if you have an impact it should come out.. does it just not spin at all or spin and no come out?

God I'm just going to go home and sleep.. thats like twice today.. but i caught this one.

Use some thread lock if you are having problem with it coming loose, or torque it to specs..

The factory bolts are loctited in place.I remember that they were a b!tch to loosen.Also Ive had my RE mount on for over 3 years now and it has never loosened nut I did re=loctite it and torqued it to the FSM spec!

Back