• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

window motor

korn9613

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 89 xj and every window moves up and down like a turd, usually have to help it with one hand. i bought a used motor for dirt cheap just to try it, it was from around the same year. not much of a difference at all. im wondering if i were to spend the big money on brand new window motors, would i see a difference? to me when i was replacing this motor, the window, now unattatched, would sit in any position without dropping. does this mean that the motors are ok and i need to somehow lubricate the window track somewhere or whats going on here?

After dealing with this situation too, I would recommend the two easy tasks below before starting to replace parts.

First thing I would do is get a large can of Silicone lubricate, then remove your interior door panels and spray the tracks and all the moving parts associated with your power windows. You may have to stick the can inside the door openings and spray blindly to cover everthing. Then move the windows up and down a couple of times. I did this and it dramatically increased the speed going up and down.

If that doesn't work, then I would assume the windows are not getting enough power to operate. There is a post on this site that describes how to splice into the power wire leading into the driver's door switch from the battery lug with a 30 amp inline fuse and a 10 gauge wire. This will boost the power to the windows and allow you to operate them with ignition off. Do a search for the specifics.

lube then up like Rottendog said. if you need to replace them you can put the motor and regulator in from a later XJ.when you buy a new motor from the dealer . it will supersede to a motor and regulator that the parts specifier say will fit all the way up to 2001. you'll need a new connector at the motor.

ill give it a shot. i noticed when i had the door apart and original motor out that i could move the window by hand to any location and it would stay there, in other words the window by itself felt like there was a lot of drag on it when you moved it up and down by hand. would i need to try spraying something into the side tracks that the window sits in, or would that leave a residue on the window everytime i used them?

There might be some cleanup initially, but that would be it. Spray in the tracks with the window up and down.

I really think the problem lies with moving parts that raises the window up and down. Be generous with the silicon. That did it for me.

There might be some cleanup initially, but that would be it. Spray in the tracks with the window up and down.

I really think the problem lies with moving parts that raises the window up and down. Be generous with the silicon. That did it for me.

This has always worked for me. While you've got the door panels off, unplug the switches from the harness plugs and spray everything with a good electronics cleaner before reassembly.

Back