• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 blend door

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys,
I finally did some more thorough investigating on my friend's 99, and the "cool" heat issue is definitely the blend door.

The door itself was only opening a little over half way so it *was* working, just not fully. I pulled the motor off and tried my best to get some graphite lube up in it...then some wd-40. it now opens *just about* the whole way. It's still binding somewhat, and is not opening FULLY.

Ideally, what i'd like to do is cut into the bottom of the ductwork and try to lube up/remove/repair the door. There must be someone out there who knows how to make the right cuts to get at the door without tearing everything up, because there is a place that sells the replacement door/kit for $120. Link= http://www.heatertreater.net/jeep Cherokee 97-04.html

They mention templates of where to cut and all that stuff, so I'm really HOPING that someone who sees this post knows how to go about doing this. I don't want my friend to have to spend $120 if there is any way possible to fix/rig this myself. Please post any info or help, Thanks!!

Ok, I found a guy's flickr page where he shows how to cut open the grand's to get at the door....but nothing for the xj.

SOMEONE must know where to cut this thing to access the door??? I could just give it a shot, but I don't want to risk cutting into something important, or messing with the structure/support of something... anyone??

I have a 2001 XJ with the same issue and would also like some guidance on where to cut to access the blend door.

Thanks
DanDXJ

Talyn,

Thanks for the reply -- The blend door is inside the Heater Box, I was hoping to not have to remove the box to access it . As the photos show it is quite a job to remove the box from XJ.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that. I want to assess the problem before I buy something I might not need. ( Any volunteers with template ??-- Pls PM me)

Thanks

DanDXJ

Don't know what your situation is as far as available funds or planned keeping the XJ for long term, but it might be worth it to pull the whole thing out and replace the heater core and evaportator at the same time. They are commonly subject to corrosion leakage.

those heater boxes do not come apart w/out cutting them? I was under the impression you could pull the box out and take it apart manually...Now as far as I know to do that you need to pull the dash out (which is not a terrible task on those believe it or not) and pull the box. I would hate to see you go down the cutting road and damage something. I would certainly suggest doing some heavy research before going that route

Heater core and evaporator have been replaced within past year. A/C works fine. The blend door is stuck. Actuator is working. I just hate to empty A/C system and have heater box removed again if I do not have to just to fix the blend door if possible.

Hey guys,
Same situation here.... core and evaporator replaced about a year ago by the PO. I was able to get some graphite lubricant into the bottom pivot point which helped a little, but I still need to figure out how to cut into this thing. It's definitely sticking, as I cannot move it by hand at all...only the low geared motor has the strength to get it to move. If anyone has a template or photos of how/where to cut it would be GREATLY appreciated! Please PM me if you do. Thanks

Back