• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 power seat stuck - won’t slide

harbingerhxc

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Everyone. I have a ‘95 XJ Country driver side power seat that suddenly will not move forwards or back. Wife can’t drive it now and she’s not happy about it cuz she loves the Jeep :( Thinking it’s the seat motor that’s worn and can’t crank the spool that moves the seat on its rails. Anyone run into this problem and know how to fix?? Finding a replacement power seat motor is not that easy. Other option is to swap seats but uncertain of what make good replacements. Doesn’t even have to be power seats. Can be good ole lever actuated. I’ll explore whether the Pontiac Sunfire seats make good replacement like the do for YJ’s. Thanks!

does the motor work if nobody's in the seat? If the motor is just getting weak, maybe an occupied seat is too much load. Adjusting while "uninhabited" may buy you time.

What about just transplanting the motor from either your passenger seat or a junkyard passenger seat? That side probably has a lot less "miles" on the motor...

You are going to have to take the seat out. Front bolts are usually easy. Back bolts are usually rusted in place, wire brush the bolt end off underneath and oil soak. Depending on what position the seat is stuck in those back bolts can be a pain.
Turn the seat upside down on a stable table and see what is jammed in the mechanism. Look closely and use a little logic to figure out where the trouble lies. When mine quit I actually hooked up a couple of wires to a spare battery so I could see/hear where it was binding. I found some junk somebody had stuck under the seat stuck in the works. And something else I can't really recall right now had jumped a track.

Back