• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Rail pictures

TNT

Seasoned Veteran
Here's some old pictures of my rock rails I built. They used to be on the forum, but got lost in an upgrade years ago(with my original join date and 2500 or so posts). I figured I'd post them for those who weren't around NAXJA in 2002 and 03.

Total they hang below the pinch seam is 1/2". 14 bolts are used per side to attach them. I can jack the entire XJ up on them will no problems.

All steel is 3/16" or 1/4" thick. I added the inner floor board protection which I hadn't seen seen before.

Rails

rr1.jpg

Side view

rr2.jpg

Down view(they stick out further than the mirrors do when folder in)

rr3.jpg

They have held up great. Shopping carts and car door dings don't have a chance..:laugh3:

No drawings right now(I build without them}, but I can make one up and take all the measurements probably tomorrow night.

HELZ YEAH, I would love to have drawings and measurements. I built a set with a friend of mine and they are still holding up, but I want them to stick out further and be a little stronger.

Here's a quick drawing so laugh if you want. I don't draw what I build. I build it using my imagination...

There are some angles and such required for proper fit. I recessed the tubes 1/2" into the pinch seam. The lowest they are below the pinch seam is 1/2".

rockraildrawing.jpg

Nice CAD skills huh?

Feel free to ask questions.

By the way I'm going with weld in rocker sliders with a slight boat side now. I built these 3 years ago...

I will be selling these locally. Let me know if your interested.

I have a good camera now and will do a write-up on the new ones.

Here are some less complicated rock rails. I would move the rear leg back a few inches and tie into the leaf spring pocket. If you look at the picture you will see that Jeep was nice enough to drill the bolt holes in the leaf spring mount for you.
orig.jpg

standard.jpg

Tim_MN said:
Here are some less complicated rock rails. I would move the rear leg back a few inches and tie into the leaf spring pocket. If you look at the picture you will see that Jeep was nice enough to drill the bolt holes in the leaf spring mount for you.
orig.jpg

standard.jpg

They look good. Quite a bit simpler to build. It was nice for Jeep to leave me that mounting hole.

Mine are more complicated rock rails, but are real good rock sliders also.

Mine are mounted to the rear spring hanger. I designed them so I can slide down them without hanging up on any of the mounts. My other main concerns were tucking them up as high as possible, having them stick out far enough to be able to protect the doors and use for pivot turns.

Back