• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch and flywheel

chickenbot

NAXJA Forum User
93 4.0 ax15 231
I'm looking to replace my clutch. I have the bell housing and parts to upgrade to the external slave cylinder. I bought the jeep preloved and I don't know when the clutch was replaced last and I don't know what the flywheel looks like. So just to be on the safe side, I am going to replace it all. Should I just replace them with any cheap set up or is it worth it to upgrade it. I have used SPEC clutch kits and flywheels before on my mustang and I love them. Has anyone ever used the SPEC flywheel and clutch kit before?

Never ran them. I have always stuck with LUK units. Ideally, do not resurface your flywheel. If it needs it, think about a replacement or if you do resurface, shim the slave cylinder the same amount to compensate or your pedal height may significantly change.

Go ahead and order a clutch kit, but then do yourself a favor and order a real throwout bearing. The throwout bearing that comes with the kit has a weak plastic part of the housing which will last long enough to get past any warranty period and will then fail on you without warning. Throw that POS as far as you possibly can and put in a Timken or SKF bearing.

Back