• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proactive water pump / thermostat replacement

SailorDan

NAXJA Forum User
1998 4.0L, 181k - no overheating issues, but I'm gentle with it.

I need to change coolant and hoses.

While I have it drained should I change out the thermostat and water pump?

Both are original equipment and after 20years a change could be justified, but I'd hate to be on here next week with a thread about my XJ now overheating.

thoughts?

I'd leave the water pump. If it aint broke don't fix it; seems like some of the replacement ones are junky. See threads about people replacing them more often after.

Assuming the t-stat is a failsafe I'd leave it as well.

I believe in preventative maintenance and replacing normal wear parts on my schedule, not because the vehicle is immobilized. I would only install a brand new, and never a rebuilt, water pump. Stant or genuine Jeep thermostats are inexpensive, I replace them when changing the coolant every 2-3 years.

Last edited:
I would change the t-stat with only Stant or oem as Tim said.
I would not touch the water pump unless it's weeping or growling. Don't upset the apple cart.

I say replace the water pump. Had the pleasure of swapping pumps during a long weekend of wheeling at Hidden Falls. Was not fun.

Kinda surprised Islander says leave it, he was there!

FYI mine shit the bed with 208k on the clock.

Another FYI you can drive a 4.0 about 2 miles with no water in the block and it will be fine 😎

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back