• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WARNING - fake online spares suppliers in Europe

br1anstorm

NAXJA Forum User
I'm posting this in my (usual) XJ sub-forum, but it really ought to go in the forums about buying and selling spares and parts (mods feel free to move my post....).

I have been searching for ages for the service-bulletin repair kit, aka the hinge bracket reinforcement plate, to strengthen the driver's door hinge on my 1993 XJ, as the hinge welds are failing like so many others.

The part, MOPAR 5083061AA, is now pretty well unobtainable. But as I'm in UK I thought I'd browse the internet in case there was any 'new old stock' in any corner of Europe.

My search threw up a couple of websites of online suppliers in Germany which listed that very part in stock. The suppliers were SDC Parts (apparently located in Koln) and Sunparts24 (apparently located in Giessen, Germany).

I tried, unsuccessfully, to place an order. The reason for this post is to send out a BIG WARNING! Don't go near either of these websites or companies. The websites are fake. They have hijacked or cloned the details of real German vehicle spares companies, and the sites appear secure and genuine. But they are clever scams.

Card details entered when placing an order are (I have found) passed to a company called Skrill (Skrill Ltd, or skrill.com) , which does exist and appears to operate a bit like PayPal, as a payment-processing firm.

But what happens is that Skrill then makes multiple charges against the card account, all fraudulent. I tried to order the hinge bracket, quoted cost about 30 euros. The payment was not authorised and I did not confirm or complete the order. But I then found from the card company that Skrill had made multiple charges each of over £200, to a total of over £2,000, from my card account.

Alarm bells rang with the card company, the payments are now in the process of being challenged and I hope recovered. But is a messy situation and a total scam. So although it's a long shot and unlikely to be an issue for may US Jeep owners, I still put up this warning: look carefully at, and stay away from, any car-spares website that appears to be based in Germany. And have nothing whatever to do with the company called Skrill.....

Thanks for letting us know - good luck getting things straightened out.

Try Mikes and Franks (Frankfurt Germany) or ASP Eberle, both reputable. I've never had either screw me, just the opposite they've bent over backward to be helpful. Mike and Franks you get what you ask for, be specific, specify manufacturer. ASP Eberle is a world wid shipper and is used to odd requests, they've moved more towards on line, try to get someone on the phone and be nice. They can get anything, but how much effort they want to put into a $30 part can be variable.

I had simular experience with AGR (aka.. Steerco) power steering parts. Never received parts ordered, but they processed the credit card payment immediately, and even added extra charges for who knows what. then AGR never honored my requests for sending the parts or reversing the charges. Finally got the credit card company to reverse the charges. Josh the owner of AGR Steerco did nothing but lie to me during this time. Really a bad deal.

Back