• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Improving ride on a DPG OME lift

Roryd89

NAXJA Forum User
I bought my cherokee with a 2.5 rough country lift on it and the ride was obviously horrible so i finally got around to getting the dpg old man emu 2.5 ultimate kit installed on it. The ride quality is a little improved but not nearly what i was hoping for out of a $1,500 suspension kit. The jeep is my daily and the roads where i live are not great, so I'm hoping for some suggestions on how to get the ride a little smoother.

thanks in advance

How many miles are on the new suspension?
Can you explain more how the ride quality is poor?
Let's say you hit a

*Let's say you hit a small bump across the road going about 30. How exactly does the front take the bump? What about the rear? Any steering feedback?

What shocks?

What angle are your rear shackles at?

What size tires (including load range) are you running and what tire pressure?

I checked out the kit. Not realy sure what to think.
Coil springs and leafs.

Whats shackle look like. Is it actually 2.5" lift?

Control arm drop brackets on it? I would

Drop brackets, good shackle angle good shocks. Not sure anything needs to be branded ome.

I have read where people talk good about the ome shocks. But I think they're just a cheap cookie cutter shock. But I think the same of bilstein 5100s

Yes tire psi plays a roll. I run less tha 20psi

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Coil springs and leafs.

Drop brackets, good shackle angle good shocks. Not sure anything needs to be branded ome.

I have read where people talk good about the ome shocks. But I think they're just a cheap cookie cutter shock. But I think the same of bilstein 5100s

So Evan, what's your shock of choice? In case I need to replace the OME I have. (I'm sure that topic is like legs or breasts, Ginger or Maryanne). Not bad but nothing to compare with and nothing special as far as I can tell on my OME setup.

Sounds like the OP is on the same journey as me..lol.

Money no concern.

Accutune Fox shocks valved to my xj weight set for the trail with 33s with low speed compression adjuster dials so i can firm up or soften to my mood or xj on board weight at any given time.

Cheap shocks
Kyb monomax valved for the front of the dodge pickup installed on the front of the jeep.

Im currently running fox 2.0 of the 2019 gladiator. They work well great on rd and off road ride. But front is pretty soft riding after going long arms. I dont run swaybars.
Good budget shock but they don't bolt on our xj.

Bilstein 5100 with short arms this is slightly softer shock than the kyb. Works well on short arms because more force is transmitted through the arms.

Flatter longer arms will like the firmer valved 5125 shocks because more force is directly sent through the shocks.

Thats my preference and take on shocks.

Money no concern.

Accutune Fox shocks valved to my xj weight set for the trail with 33s with low speed compression adjuster dials so i can firm up or soften to my mood or xj on board weight at any given time.

I kind of hi-jacked this thread. Hope the OP is finding what he needs.

I just read through the Accutune guide to measuring for shocks.. kind of involved with weights and measures. If I were to go that route could I likely choose the same valving you have, provided our setups are very nearly the same? Yup, yup.. lazy. Those CD Adjustable sound like a sweet setup.
I looked at the FOX reservoir shocks for my F350 but just ended up with the standard 2.0 on stock suspension (hated the FX4 shocks).
I've looked over a video on measuring for shocks but nothing nearly as involved as Accutune recommends.

Thanks!

Some one put there has a similar build to yours and accutune likely has valved shocks for them.
I've spent some time talking with accutune through phone and email. It would definitely be worth your time. They can explain things much easier over the phone.

I can run most any length shock die being able to tune upper and lower mounting points.

Im not running accutune valve shocks. Mine are just over the shelf standerd valving that fox sends out (cookie cutter)

I've done alot of research also have time talking with foa and the othere big name shock king.
Im convinced accutune valved shocks are probably the best route to take as an investment in the offroad world. The shkcks can be tuned for vehicles later on down the rd or as the current vehicle transforms.

The difference between fox 2.0 and cheaper shocks is pretty noticeable. I can only imagine custom valved would be an incredible eye opener

Trying to think through this and what affected my problems. I am thinking what condition the steering gear box is. What if any improvements to the steering linkage. Ball joints? Bearing hubs? Alignment? Alignment done by someone who knows what they are doing? What size tires, as mentioned before? Steering Stabilizer replaced? With what? Control arms? Stock should be OK on this lift, but condition?

How many miles are on the new suspension?
Can you explain more how the ride quality is poor?
Let's say you hit a

new suspension has maybe 50 miles on it, i was wondering if it would settle down more after it gets a little broken in.

*Let's say you hit a small bump across the road going about 30. How exactly does the front take the bump? What about the rear? Any steering feedback?

its just a little jarring is the best way i can describe it i guess, steering is fine but i can feel every bump and feel it rattling the whole jeep. the rear is the worst it feels like its rattling body panels lol

What size tires (including load range) are you running and what tire pressure?

they're 29" back country all terrains, was planning on going to 31s next but was just laid off so that may have to wait. not sure on the pressure at the moment, i was recommended to put it at 32psi to improve the ride and still need to do that.

Trying to think through this and what affected my problems. I am thinking what condition the steering gear box is. What if any improvements to the steering linkage. Ball joints? Bearing hubs? Alignment? Alignment done by someone who knows what they are doing? What size tires, as mentioned before? Steering Stabilizer replaced? With what? Control arms? Stock should be OK on this lift, but condition?

steering linkage is all pretty new, bearing hubs also new, alignment was just done at a highly recommended shop and seems to be good. stabilizer was replaced a few years ago with a moog one. nothing new in the control arms, so maybe thats my next step? tires seem to be the most recommended thing at the moment, but going to 31s is going to be a costly endeavor because i need to do a lot in the rear axle before i make the jump.

Get a pic of your shackle angle.

Coil springs and leafs.

i'll look into some drop brackets and the shackle angle and see if that helps

shocks are old man emu nitro charger sports, and the shackle angle is stock still? whatever that is. never did anything with the angle

If you did nothing the angle is likely no longer "stock" even if the parts are.

Thats probably most of your problem if the rear in particular is an issue.

Back