• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1992 XJ 2wd to 4wd transmission won't shift

Whitedarren579

NAXJA Forum User
I converted my 2wd to 4wd and I can not get the tranmission to shift. The transmission is rebuilt. The fluids are clean and the magnets are clean. We used the speed sensor and gear from the 2wd in the center adapter. Can anyone help?

I converted my 2wd to 4wd and I can not get the tranmission to shift. The transmission is rebuilt. The fluids are clean and the magnets are clean. We used the speed sensor and gear from the 2wd in the center adapter. Can anyone help?

Year of the donor transmission and recipient Cherokee? There are some compatibility issues with the output shaft speed sensor if you cross 1998. Shifting is controlled by the speed sensor in the back of the trans, not the speed sensor in the xfer case. It's staying in 1st gear in (D), or you have to shift manually with the shifter? Throttlebody->trans cable attached and adjusted correctly, fluid level good, etc.

Back