• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mopar Crank Sensor to Short?

Benthos

NAXJA Forum User
I decided to replace my crank position sensor and everybody said get Mopar.

Right out of the box I noticed that the cable is over 2 inches shorter than the original. And I remember it being a pretty close fit and so I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem?

PN: 56027866AC

It's for a 99 Cherokee. The new one measures a total of 14.25 inches end to end and the old one is 16.5.

Are they all like this or do I have a defect?

I would like to figure out if it will reach before I reinstall it and put everything back in the engine bay only to find out that it won't connect to the harness.

I believe the replacement is a little shorter now. I was I
In the same boat when I replaced my stock sensor, I even took the otherone back to the dealer to check.

Where did you purchase yours?

This might be comparing apples to oranges.
Bought a Mopar 56027866AE for my '00.
Never even looked at it. Installed just fine.
I decided to buy a second one for "stock".
Seeing how I never throw anything out can dig out the old one.
Compare it to the new one and see.
Assuming I can find the old one will report back.

I believe the replacement is a little shorter now. I was I
In the same boat when I replaced my stock sensor, I even took the otherone back to the dealer to check.

Where did you purchase yours?

I bought it from a Jeep dealer in Arizona by mail. They might have been trying to get rid of Old Stock because the package was dated 2003 at the date of manufacture.

The CPS sensor lead for the '00 and '01 appear to be a shorter length. My old one is 12.25" from the center of the mounting holes to the end of the plug. My new one appears to be the same length.

This place says that 56027866AC does not fit my '00.

https://www.factorychryslerparts.co...R-Crankshaft-Position/4567405/56027866AC.html

But I am kinda under the impression their was some sort of a Flex Plate change somewhere along the line.

Thing that makes me wonder is the part numbers.
Except for the letters they are the same. And for most instances I believe the letters don't matter. Apparently not always the case.

So I am guessing there is no need for me to go measure mine?

I think the difference is the location of the plug on the main harness. For our 2000 XJs, its attached to the body of the transmission and is most easily accessed from under the vehicle, but I believe that on older XJs, the plug is located closer to the engine and is accessed most easily from the engine bay.

When I went through my ordeal trying to make sure it was the CPS causing the problem I watched a few videos. And did notice they did that resistance test from the top.
But it seemed to be an older '96 and down type thing.
But it does explain the possible difference in length.

Thinking about it more probably would not be to hard for the OP to check.
Unplug the one on the Jeep and see what kind of slack there is maybe.

Thinking about it more probably would not be to hard for the OP to check.
Unplug the one on the Jeep and see what kind of slack there is maybe.

On a 1999 XJ the terminal end is mounted in the engine bay to a bracket. The bracket is to the left and just behind the valve cover. The plug that it made stew in the wiring harness comes out of the Loom that travels along the edge of the cowl. It makes a nest turn against the bracket and is zip tied to it. And I will say that the whole thing is a pretty tight fit without much wiggle room.

My concern is that because it is over 2 in shorter, it may not be able to be installed in the same fashion if it reaches at all.

I put it in and moved it up to the general area and it seems like it might make it but after everything is put back in its unknown.

There is a another poster who said he got one that was three In Too Short from aftermarket... and it did not fit.

That part number is listed as the correct part number for the 1999.

Well the 56027866AC (97-99) seems to have been made a few inches longer at 14.25. So that's good. But it is still two inches shorter then the original.

When I put the engine back together I guess we will have the definitive answer of how it fits. I have also asked the dealer.

Pic:
c7RIiQUI

http://imgbox.com/c7RIiQUI

Well here's the verdict on the MOPAR xj crank sensor.

https://imgbox.com/fQ6M1p2Z

It fits but just barely and not in the same configuration. The old one attaches to the bracket like the new one as shown. However the old one made a 90 degree turn in the bracket and was zip tied tonthe hole in the bracket to keep pressure off the connector. It then went to the crank sensor with slack.

The new in is straight line. No slack. It's working but seems less optimal. How much money are they saving on that 2 inches if wire?

If the vehicle harness has any useful slack, how about buying a piece of metal plumbers tape and moving the CPS connector one plumbers tape hole towards the transmission.

Speaking of crank sensors...has anybody figured out a replacement for the discontinued and unobtainable high altitude crank sensor yet or a mod to get that sweet extra 4 degrees of advance ?

Back