NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 31st, 2020, 08:29
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Factory heated seat switch

I just carved the notches out more on the sides. It doesn't seem like it locked in place though. It's not coming out easily either, so I'm ok with it.

Something I noticed in the electrical diagram for the 2000 xj last night is that the switch isn't just a simple open/closed switch. It sends different voltages to the Seat Heater Interface Module (SHIM) which is located inside (from what I gather) the passenger seat. It says on the diagram "mux", which stands for "multiplexer". That just means things can get complicated with the factory switch.

Again, I'll get it figured out and make it simple.

Also, I'm using harbor freight fog lights and the factory switch as well.
Old August 31st, 2020, 11:05
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreen View Post
I just carved the notches out more on the sides. It doesn't seem like it locked in place though. It's not coming out easily either, so I'm ok with it.

Something I noticed in the electrical diagram for the 2000 xj last night is that the switch isn't just a simple open/closed switch. It sends different voltages to the Seat Heater Interface Module (SHIM) which is located inside (from what I gather) the passenger seat. It says on the diagram "mux", which stands for "multiplexer". That just means things can get complicated with the factory switch.

Again, I'll get it figured out and make it simple.

Also, I'm using harbor freight fog lights and the factory switch as well.
That was kinda of the thing when I buddy looked at the schematic. He is pretty good with this stuff but even he was a little confused. Said he thinks there are diodes in the switch but was not sure.

The SHIM is a white box that is attached to the passenger power seat base.

At that link I posted earlier scroll down to Post # 91275.
You can see the SHIM and the relay I was talking about on the seat base.
Old August 31st, 2020, 14:54
NAXJA Forum User

Well I'll keep an eye out for another one with heated seats. It's been a long time since I found that one in the JY, and I didn't know about this switch and how it wasn't just regular contacts in there. Maybe I can crack it open and do some sort of modification? I'll see what I can come up with.
Old August 31st, 2020, 14:56
NAXJA Forum User

Also, I haven't seen one since. That was at least 2 years ago! I just ran across one today with an overhead console, so I got the stuff for that to go into mine. I also found an '88 with a factory skid plate set, so I grabbed the front one. The rear wouldn't match my 98, but the front one seems to be in good enough shape!

Slowly, I'm making this the most highly optioned XJ ever haha
Old August 31st, 2020, 22:25
NAXJA Forum User

I put all 3 skids on my '00 that did not come with them.
My understanding is that the '96 and down gas skid will fit with some modification.
Or so I have read.

What year is the overhead from? I have a little experience with this. Put one from a '99 into my '00. The year determines how plug and play it is.
Did you get the wiring harness and bracket?
The connectors on the harness that plug into the Junction Box area vary a little from year to year,
Also the lighted visors that run off that same harness.
Some are on one wire with an internal ground. Up to and including '99 I believe.
'00 and '01 are 2 wire with an external ground.
So to keep it more plug and play I used the visors from the '99.
Which fortunately I did grab too.
The wiring for the ambient temp sensor appears to be up front in all '97 and up XJ's.
But there is a weird little harness attached to it that the ambient temp sensor plugs into.
Did you get that too?

You are going to have a tough time beating me on the "most highly optioned XJ ever". LOL.

Little back story. '00 bought about 7 years ago kinda running and not really driveable.
Nothing crazy. Neglected not beat on. Was just going to be a simple little refresh.
Fairly basic Sport. PW, door locks, heated mirrors, etc.

Then I got it in my head to turn it into a Limited/Up Country/Police Version/European Orvis Clone.

Put in the front fogs, cruise control, all 3 skids, front and rear tow hooks, heated/power leather seats. Limited fake wood grain trim (door panels and radio bezel), 4 slot switch bezel with an Ext Idle switch, factory running boards, Mopar mud flaps, overhead, cheesy tarp like cargo cover that those years came with, etc. Probably forgetting a couple things.

Things in the works or things I want to do.
Factory spare tire sub, Infinity Sound System (have the tweeters in though), rear seat head rests like European Versions, factory towing package, Up Country Suspension, 8.25 rear with the factory LSD, etc. Probably forgetting a couple things here too.

Also my Jeep came with the 6 CD changer and the enclosure in the back. My understanding is that is a dealer installed accessory. Guess the original owner, I am the third owner I believe, had it installed.

So if you want the "most highly optioned XJ ever" you have your work cut out for you.
I have set the bar pretty high. MLOL.

But my XJ is strictly a DD. I am older and my days of thrashing around out there are long over.
So a bunch of the stuff I am running does not matter. Mud Flaps and factory running boards for instance.
Wheeling a Jeep with that stuff would just result in you ripping it off at some point. EMLOL.
Old August 31st, 2020, 23:02
NAXJA Forum User

Oh forgot to mention that I swapped out all my regular glass for Factory Privacy Glass. LOL.
Old January 12th, 2021, 13:22
NAXJA Forum User

Ok, cold butt time. It's been cold butt time and I don't like it. So yesterday I found a few goodies at the pick & pull, and one of them is a SHIM (Seat Heat Interface Module). So once I get this stuff back home, in a few weeks, I'll have to give wiring it up a shot. Looks like all I need now is to run some wires since I only snipped off the connectors at both the switch and the SHIM. And I'll have to get some heated seat pads too. I'm so excited! I really didn't want to have to use some cheesy switches on my console to control the seat heaters. Maybe I'll install a universal one for the back seat so the kids' butts won't be cold too.