• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For those with AERO EXTENDED CAPACITY FUEL TANK

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Who else here has the Aero Tanks 30 gallon replacement fuel tank for their XJ?

There website says it should just basically bolt in.

Has anyone actually installed one of these tanks themselves? How did your installation go?

I had my mechanic install the tank for me. They read the supplied directions and said it would take less than a day for them to be done. Here it is six days later and I'm finally going to be able to pick her up in an hour.

They said the tank was built for a return line fuel system, which the XJ is not? Supposedly they had major problems and had to modify just about everything that was supplied by Aero Tank (even the tank). I will post more details about how the installation went after I pick my Jeep up.

Has anyone else had any similar problems? I do know that www.aerotanks.com has about the worst customer serivce out there.

WOW. Total opposite of my experiances with them. It took less the an hour, everything hooked right up, no extra hoses or unused connections. The longest time was remounting the fuel pump. Aero was very helpfull when I did not pay attention and smashed the sender unit into the floor of the XJ when I cranked it up.

Rev

Well I got my Jeep back. The bill was a hair over $700.

They had to modify the pump assembly and make a bracket to hold the pump securely. A hole for return line in the tank had to be plugged since my Jeep ('96 XJ) doesn't have a fuel return line. Also they had to reverse the sending unit to get it to work. But the gauge doesn't read properly. It doesn't read full and falls very fast, then will hang showing an 1/8th of a tank with about 15 gallons + left in the tank. The gauge wont read completely full either (approx 32 gallons filled).

Another thing is they had to cut the exhaust at the muffler since the tank got in the way. I have a 50 series flow master and right now it sounds like a deep rice can and is incredibly loud. Going to the exhaust shop tomorrow hopefully work something out so it sounds decent.

My tank was damaged (dented and scratched) in shipping and Aero could literally could not have cared less. I waited about 50 days for the tank, and the original quote was 20 days tops. I called them and they said I would have to ship it back to them, on my dime, and they would file a claim with UPS. Also first they didn't believe me and made me email them pictures. When I asked how long it would take to receive a second tank the lady told me about as long as I waited for the first tank. I didn't want to wait another two months so I just kept the tank. They were very rude and did not care one bit I was unhappy.

And the paint job on the tank looked like it was a 2nd grade classroom project.

What year is your XJ rev?

90Pioneer said:
Well I got my Jeep back. The bill was a hair over $700.

They had to modify the pump assembly and make a bracket to hold the pump securely. A hole for return line in the tank had to be plugged since my Jeep ('96 XJ) doesn't have a fuel return line. Also they had to reverse the sending unit to get it to work. But the gauge doesn't read properly. It doesn't read full and falls very fast, then will hang showing an 1/8th of a tank with about 15 gallons + left in the tank. The gauge wont read completely full either (approx 32 gallons filled).

Another thing is they had to cut the exhaust at the muffler since the tank got in the way. I have a 50 series flow master and right now it sounds like a deep rice can and is incredibly loud. Going to the exhaust shop tomorrow hopefully work something out so it sounds decent.

My tank was damaged (dented and scratched) in shipping and Aero could literally could not have cared less. I waited about 50 days for the tank, and the original quote was 20 days tops. I called them and they said I would have to ship it back to them, on my dime, and they would file a claim with UPS. Also first they didn't believe me and made me email them pictures. When I asked how long it would take to receive a second tank the lady told me about as long as I waited for the first tank. I didn't want to wait another two months so I just kept the tank. They were very rude and did not care one bit I was unhappy.

And the paint job on the tank looked like it was a 2nd grade classroom project.

What year is your XJ rev?

Two lessons learned here:

(1) Always pay with a CC. If the retailer is a jerk about fixing a problem, you can take it up with the bank.

(2) Never trust anybody else to work on your vehicle.

Mine is a 90. Sounds like you have the wrong sender...posssably the wrong tank...possably the wrong shop install it.

Sorry...I had no issues.

Rev

atx xj said:
how hard would it be to adapt that tank to a 2000 cherokee?

Probably not much more difficult than what I went through. The mechanic is not the problem, he is very experienced and does a great job. Anyone else probably would have given up on the tank.

Perhaps I was sent the incorrect sender and pump assembly? No way of knowing now, although it matched the pictures in the instructions. The mechanic said it would have been possible to adapt the factory sending unit to work (and work better), just taken a bit more time ($$).

Jeep is in the exhaust shop right now. What did you do for your tail pipe Rev? Did it interfere with your tank? It looks as if I'm going to have to route it over the leaf spring and out the side.

if you are sure that you ordered the tank from them that would fit a 90, then id say your shop, unless its a guy that you know personally, did unneccesary work so that they could git you out of a few (hundred) more bucks. my motto is try it yourself first, thennnn if you cant do it or dont have the right tools, bring it to a professional. with the exception of gearing and engine work that is

I ordered mine for a 90. It went right in. Exhaust cleared. Sender was correct. Pump bracket did take a little messing about, but not much.
Again....you either got...

Wrong tank..
Wrong sender..
Wrong shop..

I am leaning toward the latter, as a good shop should have been able to tell you the tank or sender was wrong. Aero may share siome blame here, but your shop must also share some.

Rev

A couple of years back I went to them and asked about a tank for my 96.
There was some confusion on the correct part/tank number. I could be, as already mentioned, you got the wrong tank.
Sometime in 96 the tank design or shape changed as well. I was told this by another company and also by Rocky Road Outfitters? who sell a replacement tank.
I also looked at my price guide, and it is 3 years old, but tank, installation and skid plate would have been $750 and 4 hours time.
Give them a call and try to figure out what happened, if you have not already.

I just had the Aero tank install for under $650 including RE drop brackets . They even drop off my cars in front of my house. When it comes to pymt they say " whenever you get the chance to drop by" . Although Aero sent the wrong sending unit.

Back