• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1991 XJ Long Trip Service Suggestions

Biggie Z

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I'm moving from Sacramento, CA to El Paso, TX (about 1200 miles) with my XJ towing a 5x8 uhaul trailer. It's a 4.0L 5-speed and has about 196k miles. I would like a few suggestions on what I should have serviced in preparation for the move. I already got the engine/tranny oil changed and topped of the coolant, I'm also going to get a tire rotation and alignment. Any suggestions/advice would be hugely appreciated. Thank you.

Since you won't be needing it, I'd consider removing the front driveshaft to prevent unnecessary wear and tear.

Make sure your cooling system is up to snuff. The boiling temp of the coolant can be tested with a tester from Wally World or a parts store. Fan shroud needs to be in place and in one piece. The fan clutch can be tested by getting the engine up to operating temp, running the engine at idle for 10 or 15 minutes and then shutting it down. Check the fan clutch by trying to turn the fan by hand. It should have some resistance to being turned.

Brake moisture test strips can be purchased that will indicate how much water is in your brake fluid. If it's excessive, flush and bleed the brake system. Make sure your brakes are on good working order, check and adjust the rear brakes manually.

Make sure your trailer lights all actually work. A lot of hitch installers are lazy and just splice the trailer harness into the vehicle harness with Scotch connectors. These will eventually collect dirt and corrosion and all other sorts of hate and discontent inside the connector and no longer make a good connection.

Fluids, cooling system in tip top shape, trailer wiring in good shape, proper air pressure in tires especially the rear and IMO one of the biggest things make sure you PROPERLY load your trailer in regards to tongue weight. You don't want too much or too little (too little can cause a catastrophic result) tongue weight.

I moved from San Diego back to Texas (Dallas area) in the middle of summer 2016 in a 97 model auto, 4.0 ect, with about the same mileage. Jeep never missed a beat and I ran the AC the whole way for the most part. I was pulling about 1200 lbs on a single axle flat bed trailer I built out of a harbor freight folding trailer, and had almost 1000 lbs of cargo in the Jeep. Ran between 60 and 75 for the majority of the trip depending on speed limits.

Windshield wipers! And a bog one here, don't bring California with you to Texas. Just leave it there.

I do not want to sound like a smart a$$ here but I have been having this same discussion for some years.

Florida which is home to me we have everyone in the North (east)who could rent a truck move down. I in the process of relocating to Texas and people from the West are moving East.

I moved from the Caribbean at 40 years old so I have to temper my comments a bit,... many of us (and everyone is included) embrace change. Then there are others.

I do not want to sound like a smart a$$ here but I have been having this same discussion for some years.

Florida which is home to me we have everyone in the North (east)who could rent a truck move down. I in the process of relocating to Texas and people from the West are moving East.

I moved from the Caribbean at 40 years old so I have to temper my comments a bit,... many of us (and everyone is included) embrace change. Then there are others.
You'll likely keep having this discussion as will I...

X2. Same thing is happening in Colorado right now, which is unfortunate because there's a lot of us out here. I'm trying to get moved out within the month.

Back