• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New downpipe or not???

mrtosh

NAXJA Forum User
Just purchased a new APN header, magnaflow cat, and dynomax catback for my 98 and am wondering whether or not I should replace the downpipe. Physically it looks in good shape. Thinking of doing one of the autozone ones any benefits to using one of these? Does it flow any better or have less crimps? Or should I stick with my stocker? Also I have a 2" BB and would hope that this would clear aformentioned downpipe, correct?

TIA

I would at least bang out the big crimp in the old one while you have it off--we heated my brother's up with a torch and then pounded with a pick hammer(or whatever it's called). He notices a good difference.

I believe the 95+ xjs have the bigger diameter downpipe in the middle as it crosses to the passenger side, similar to the ZJs. Older systems were smaller until the crossmember/cat junction.

Ended up getting a Walker(same guys that make dynomax) part #55277 from NAPA. Welds are subpar but there is no dent.

Is it mandrel bent? Does it have the kinks?

I searched all part stores a while back and they were all the same, just different prices.

It isn't unfortunately. It has the kinks in the bends. Still should flow a hell of a lot better than stock..

Yeah, I ran one on another jeep I had (also with the APN). I can't say I noticed much of a difference but I never had a problem with it.

You can't buy a mandrel bent pipe anywhere unless you're willing to pay >$200 from the dealer, if they can get them. Or you can have one made.

When I get off my lazy ass I'm going to pick up a late model xj pipe if I can find one in good shape. It doesn't have the dent because of the low pinion axle.

Just purchased a new APN header, magnaflow cat, and dynomax catback for my 98 and am wondering whether or not I should replace the downpipe. Physically it looks in good shape. Thinking of doing one of the autozone ones any benefits to using one of these? Does it flow any better or have less crimps? Or should I stick with my stocker? Also I have a 2" BB and would hope that this would clear aformentioned downpipe, correct?

TIA

When I went to have my muffler and catalytic converter put on I asked the guy, should I replace the down pipe and tail pipe? He looked at it and said he wouldn't those things very seldom need replacing.

It's not soo much that it needs to be replaced it's just that I'm putting full free flowing exhaust from the header to the tail pipe and don't want a big dent stifilling the exhaust flow. Ya know....

When I went to have my muffler and catalytic converter put on I asked the guy, should I replace the down pipe and tail pipe? He looked at it and said he wouldn't those things very seldom need replacing.

I did much the same a few years ago.
new header, cat back, cone air, 99 intake etc etc.

did them one at a time, and noticed a change in throttle response or exhaust note with every mod... except the header. I figured it was the restrictive downpipe so I had one fabbed up at midas. The drive home was much better, the sound was different and the seat of the pants difference was there too.

if your putting all the time/money into these mods, I would suggest getting one made up.

tip: depending who makes it, have them build it and check it with suspension stuffed/drooped. I had to take mine back the first time after noticing a rattle over small bumps. Turns out they had built it on the frame lift, and when it I drove it away there was much less clearance.

Yeah, I ran one on another jeep I had (also with the APN). I can't say I noticed much of a difference but I never had a problem with it.

You can't buy a mandrel bent pipe anywhere unless you're willing to pay >$200 from the dealer, if they can get them. Or you can have one made.

When I get off my lazy ass I'm going to pick up a late model xj pipe if I can find one in good shape. It doesn't have the dent because of the low pinion axle.
As for cost that is not true.

Just go to a good local exhaust shop that has a mandrel bender and have them make you a custom y pipe.

As for cost that is not true.

Just go to a good local exhaust shop that has a mandrel bender and have them make you a custom y pipe.

Yeah you're probably right. I was refering to the cost quoted to me by the dealer. I'd imagine having one made would be much cheaper.

Back