• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Again! Wanted...

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
I don't suppose anyone nearby happens to have Peugeot BA-10 in workin' order, or a cheap AX15 & NP231 input gear I could come get, do they?

This is now the THIRD Peugeot that's going out on me - the other two are in the scrap bin (blown synchronisers.) I know I'm a spirited driver, but this is nuts...

Mine now sounds like shaking a box of sledgehammers - started this morning. I change transmissions more often than I change clutches - what's up with that?

5-90

5-90 said:
NP231 input gear I could come get, do they?
5-90
What do mean by input gear of NP231, the main shaft ?

The Peugeot has one spline count (23, I think) and the AX-15 and NV3550 have another (probably 21. I may have those reversed.)

If I'm going to change transmissions, I'd need to change the input gear for the transfer case as well, so it will mate up (the mounting pattern is the same, just the input gear is different.)

If anyone has a Peugeot, it's a straight swap. If it's an AX-15, I'll have to swap input gears (I've got a spare NP231 anyhow, but it's another early one. I've also got an early NP242...) and make some sort of adapter to bolt the mount to the crossmember - but I'm perfecly willing to make something work until I can do it right (since I'm planning to do the conversion later anyhow...)

The long and short of it is, I'm just hoping it's got enough life left in it to let me get to replacing it - but the sooner, the better...

Meanwhile, I've got another Peugeot that's going in the scrap bin once it comes out. Like I said, I've changed transmissions more than I've changed clutches, and I seem to be getting pretty good at it. Doesn't make it any less irritating, but at least I can get the job done fairly quickly. And, the AX15 and NV3550 do not require driveshaft changes, either - so I don't have to get a new one made or modified.

5-90

5-90 said:
The Peugeot has one spline count (23, I think)

I have a main shaft from NP231 which is connected to AX15.
I am saving it in case I might need it for teralow installation.

As I understand, you either can put in that french transmission, or you can install AX15, but in the latter case you would have to replace the main shaft of NP231. If you really need it, you can take it.

Andrey

Ill trade you my AX-15 and input gear for an AW4 and input gear :D

Did you blow up Princess II's Peugot?

I think so. Input shaft seems to be getting silly - when I unload the clutch, it sounds like a box of hammers.

It gets a little better as it warms up (about 10 minutes seems to be the lot,) but I don't know how much longer it's got, and its days are certainly numbered.

Damn Peugeot gearboxes. Why did AMC spec an underbuilt gearbox anyhow? It was designed for half the engine making a third of the power - and they were already using AX4's and AX5's, the AX15 would not have been a stretch...

5-90

They had a thing for the Frenchies back then.

Peugot boxes, Renault/Bendix operating system.

5-90 said:
I think so. Input shaft seems to be getting silly - when I unload the clutch, it sounds like a box of hammers.

It gets a little better as it warms up (about 10 minutes seems to be the lot,) but I don't know how much longer it's got, and its days are certainly numbered.

Damn Peugeot gearboxes. Why did AMC spec an underbuilt gearbox anyhow? It was designed for half the engine making a third of the power - and they were already using AX4's and AX5's, the AX15 would not have been a stretch...

5-90

Yeah. The RENIX system I actually prefer over the OBD (easier to diagnose, I think,) but this damn Peugeot gearbox is getting the best of me. I still have most of the other two in the garage - I just haven't finished tearing them down into scrap metal yet. Yurf.

I'm just getting tired of changing gearboxes, and I'd like to get something that will work. I'm just not sure if this will hold out until our tax refund shows up... Apart from that, I'm a little short on readies right now.

5-90

5-90 said:
You back in the Bay Area? It just so happens that I have a 4WD AW4 and an NP231 lying about...

5-90

yessir :D

XJ_ranger said:

Cool - we'll have to work out a linkup. If you've got the entire tcase in decent shape, there's no need to tear it to bits - I'll just swap you. If you have to tear it down, I'm sure I can match that (but it won't be for the next couple days - work in PA to-morrow and SF on Friday. The perils of being in trades...)

Oh - you don't gotta "sir" me - we've met, and I just don't work that way. Last anyone to call me "sir" on a regular basis was my kids - it's how I knew that I was showing that I was well and truly hacked off!

5-90

5-90 said:
Cool - we'll have to work out a linkup. If you've got the entire tcase in decent shape, there's no need to tear it to bits - I'll just swap you. If you have to tear it down, I'm sure I can match that (but it won't be for the next couple days - work in PA to-morrow and SF on Friday. The perils of being in trades...)

Oh - you don't gotta "sir" me - we've met, and I just don't work that way. Last anyone to call me "sir" on a regular basis was my kids - it's how I knew that I was showing that I was well and truly hacked off!

5-90

well here's the deal - While id realy like to trade these - My ax-15 is in my running vehicle and being used every day -

also my t-case has all the extra goodies like the AA SYE and all that...

This would be a major project for me, one that Im not sure im ready for just yet - or ever for that matter...

talk me into doing a manual to auto swap in the next 5 days, and you got yourself a tranny :D

Um. Bother.

OK - I can see not trading the tcase then - I've torn these apart before, so that's a non-issue anyhow.

Do you have the electronics for the AW4 swap? I might have a spare TCU somewhere abouts - just no wiring.

The problem really arises with "talk you into the swap" - I happen to prefer manuals, so that would be difficult for me. Although, it sounds like you might already have yourself talked halfway into it...

Why five days - just home for the week? I've even got a spare torque converter, and I can probably free up a flexplate (I'd have to check it for cracks.) to sweeten the deal. I'd just need the tranny, input gear, and shifter handle... Internal slave, or external?

5-90

internal slave - and I unfortunately dont have ANY AW4 wiring...

I think (now thinking more on the idea) that Im not going to be able to do this - sorry...

I need my vehicle to run, right now it does, it seems foolish to mess with it right now and go to the effort of the swap - not to mention I dont have $$$ for new driveshafts, wiring, and whatever else that always comes up in these projects...

Well, I can even help you out with driveshafts (since I've got a few lying about, if you don't mind painting them,) but wiring just ain't gonna happen right now. Sorry!

Damn. Anyone else have something lying about I can use? While I'd prefer to upgrade (finally!) I can even handle getting another Peugeot in relatively good workin' order, just to get something where I can drive it more than 20 miles at a stretch, and start on a hill again (it's also a pain to shift into 1st, 2d, and Reverse...)

5-90

I have the main shaft from a 231 available after doing a SYE

Jon - For an AX-15 swap you need an EARLY STYLE 23 spline input gear. They changed the teeth on the planataries later on.

Now - if you're really in a bind and can come South I've got a perfectly fine BA/10. Problem is it's under my '88; I gotta swap the AX-15 in and am not ready to do that yet. If you have no other options let me know and we can probably work it out - maybe give me the BA/10 you have to put in place or we can swap the BA/10 for the AX/15 in mine...

Back