• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What fuel injectors should I buy for an upgrade on my 98 4.0?

98xjclassicmc

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering what fuel injectors are worth the cost for an upgrade on my 1998 Classic 4.0? Is a 12 hole better than a 4 hole?

Yea I'm definitely going with Bosch for sure. Ksuspension I heard is a good retailer too with a lifetime warranty. I just didnt know if 12 was really worth it or if 4 is just as good if not better in regards to Bosch brand

K fab doesn't have a very good rep on naxja.

K fab doesn't have a very good rep on naxja.

Yes, multiple people have claimed they're selling the chinese fake-bosch injectors.

JHC7399 over on CherokeeForum.com sells refurbished, flow matched 4-hole Bosch for a good price. Lots of people reporting good luck with those (myself included)

Yes, multiple people have claimed they're selling the chinese fake-bosch injectors.

JHC7399 over on CherokeeForum.com sells refurbished, flow matched 4-hole Bosch for a good price. Lots of people reporting good luck with those (myself included)

Me too. For a few 4.0s and a 5.2 in my grand Cherokee.

If both 4 hole and 12 hole injectors flow 24 Lbs/hr then all things considered your XJ is not going to run faster or jump higher because...24 Lb/hr it's what they flow. That said 12 hole injectors make sense. More smaller holes = more finer spray= easier and more complete combustion.

If both 4 hole and 12 hole injectors flow 24 Lbs/hr then all things considered your XJ is not going to run faster or jump higher because...24 Lb/hr it's what they flow. That said 12 hole injectors make sense. More smaller holes = more finer spray= easier and more complete combustion.

12 hole do make sense, except it seems they're all chinese crap.

4 hole refurbished Bosch are still the best choice.

If it was only that simple! 12 hole injectors will be easier to foul internally/externally.

Example comparing "x" flow rate injectors(not real numbers)"

1 hole injector- (1) 25 micron hole
4 hole injector- (4) 5 micron holes
12 hole injector- (12) 1 micron holes

If it was only that simple! 12 hole injectors will be easier to foul internally/externally.

Example comparing "x" flow rate injectors(not real numbers)"

1 hole injector- (1) 25 micron hole
4 hole injector- (4) 5 micron holes
12 hole injector- (12) 1 micron holes

I agree, though yeah those hole sizes do not scale relative to each other. (it'd be 1x 25 micron, 4x 12.5 micron, 12x 3.6 micron)

Another issue with the 12 hole ones beside all the things already mentioned is that many of the ones being sold are actually intended for 3 or 4 valve cylinder heads. They have 6 holes facing one side and 6 facing the other and spray two separate cones of atomized fuel that on the engine they are intended for would aim down each intake port, but on our intake/head basically point at the port walls. Not exactly helpful.

I personally have never had any problems with stock injectors with hundreds of thousands of miles and thousands of miles of E10 gas through them, so I have not bothered with this "upgrade". It's especially hard when it's difficult for the layperson to differentiate between actual legit Bosch (or other respected aftermarket) manufactured injectors and counterfeit garbage that's being churned out in China and sold as legitimate.

The 12 hole's are "snake oil" but I've had excellent results with the 4 hole injectors from these guys. I've got several sets from them.
https://precisionautoinjectors.com/collections/jeep-injectors

I went fron the stock 1 hole injectors on my 2000 to 12 hole Bosch injectors and right off the bat I noticed a good improvement in throttle response, smoother idle and somewhat better gas mileage to work in back twice gas needle did not move as far as before but has not been a tank yet.

Back