• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

On this new '93-'04 Grand Cherokee gas tank recall thing...

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
Recently we've all seen where 93-04 Grand Cherokees are being looked at for bad gas tank design allowing them to rupture gas pretty badly during a rear end collision. What I've read so far is that the suggested recall is only on the Grands and not on the regular Cherokees, like the one I have, a '96.

You may have already guessed what I'm thinking about. Does anyone know specifically why my regular Cherokee Classic isn't included in this suggested recall? Like, are the same crash results not seen on my model too? The major design problem cited on the Grand is that its gas tank is too exposed, situated behind the rear axle. Well, my trucks tank is behind the rear axle too. Any advice?

The XJ tank is tucked up in there a lot better than a ZJ and especially a WJ. If you're that concerned grab ya a stock ZJ gas tank skid and throw it on your XJ. I totaled a sunfire in my driveway(the car had been rolled before, i blame shotty repairs) by backing into it and my skid has a dent, thats it and its the only thing that touched the car.

I just got rid of my 96 Grand. I would imagine that the recall was exacerbated by the fact that there were a given number of incidents with the Grand Cherokee. Maybe not with an XJ. I don't know this but I think a stock Grand Cherokee is higher off the ground than an XJ and may leave the tank more exposed in the event of an accident.

Its pretty much in the same location on all the vehicles mentioned. ZJ, WJ, XJ. The ZJ and WJ both have plastic rear bumpers, possibly that adds to it. However, IIRC all WJs came with a form of skid over the gas tank and I believe the upcountrys and Overlands had a thicker skid. The WJ's might also hang down a bit lower due to the spare tire location.

BTW, the Cherokee model isn't called a Cherokee Classic. Classic is a trim level. Its either just a Cherokee or an XJ. Don't know if you were generalizing the "Classic" as the XJ or if you really referring it to as a trim level. I've seen so many adds that call all the XJs a "Cherokee Classic".

There is NO recall on these as of yet. They are under investigation though, but no determination has been made, and Chryslers not giving in easilly on this one. From what Ive heard from Chrysler tech training instuctors, is if they do this, it will most likely involve adding a heavy duty skid plate to the tank, to better protect it. But they also said that the Ford Crown Vics have a worse record of rear impact fires than the Grand does. I dont know that for a fact, just passing on what Ive heard. But I really dont see this turning into a full blown recall.

Back