• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What grease to use on slip joint on driveshaft?

Talyn

NAXJA Forum User
My rear drive shaft's slip joint is binding (I have an SYE, so what the heck is that joint called?). I used some Amsoil chassis lube and that worked for all of a week. What is the correct lube for this? It isn't the type with a zerk, but the rubber boot type.

-Chris

I would use a regular chassis grease.I use Valvoline Dura-lube semi-synthetic for everything.
Wayne

Talyn said:
The chassis grease didn't work.
Are you sure you put in enough? and how is the joint looking and how old is it and how often you greased it?
Also what do you mean by bind? Does it have spots in which you have a hard time extending it?

Kejtar said:
Are you sure you put in enough? and how is the joint looking and how old is it and how often you greased it?
Also what do you mean by bind? Does it have spots in which you have a hard time extending it?

Enough.. i odn't know.. i put a decent amount, but I don't know what enough it. The shaft is 3 years old. I had never greased it as there is no real way to do it on a regular basis. By bind, I get a clunk from the rear on stop and go.

-Chris

If you dont have a zerk,how did you grease it?

Jump This said:
Axel wrap?

I thought about that, but I believe its just from the rear und moving up when i stop, and down when I accelerate. I only have 30" tires. The rear has a full length AAL, which gives more than the advertised lift still (RE kit). And i don't even have to drive aggressive to get it to happen. Oh yess... springs sohow no sign of axle wrap, not distroted or anything.

-Chris

Talyn said:
I thought about that, but I believe its just from the rear und moving up when i stop, and down when I accelerate. I only have 30" tires. The rear has a full length AAL, which gives more than the advertised lift still (RE kit). And i don't even have to drive aggressive to get it to happen. Oh yess... springs sohow no sign of axle wrap, not distroted or anything.

-Chris
Be sure to check the spring perch u-bolt nuts. These will often work loose and cause the symptom you are describing.

Okie Terry said:
Be sure to check the spring perch u-bolt nuts. These will often work loose and cause the symptom you are describing.
Checked those last week.. torque them to 90 ft-lbs.

-Chris

Talyn said:
Enough.. i odn't know.. i put a decent amount, but I don't know what enough it. The shaft is 3 years old. I had never greased it as there is no real way to do it on a regular basis. By bind, I get a clunk from the rear on stop and go.

-Chris
Can you take the booth off so that you can look at the splines? Also try unhooking it at the axle and and compress and uncompress it by hand and see what happens as the clunk from rear on stop and go can be one of many different things.

Kejtar said:
Can you take the booth off so that you can look at the splines? Also try unhooking it at the axle and and compress and uncompress it by hand and see what happens as the clunk from rear on stop and go can be one of many different things.

I can look at the splines.. they are coated with some blue plastic stuff, which is all intact. Its difficult to move by hand. There is also no play is I wiggle the shaft, so i don't think it is worn. I am doing to try dome bearing grease I have left over from a ZJ CV boot kit in there. I'll dump teh whole package of grease in... or is that not enough?

Talyn said:
Umm.. take it apart, clean it and than re grease it and reassemble

How about you tell us who made this POS shaft and we will avoid the problem you have.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
How about you tell us who made this POS shaft and we will avoid the problem you have.
Wayne

Gladly, its made by Tom Wood, (I'll add Tom Woods incase someone searches for that term) which I will never do business with again. He couldn't balance a shaft for anything. Not only that but they left out the spring in the double cardan joint assembly. They even sent me a second shaft when I installed the orginal, it was also out of balance... and not just by a little. Had a local shop rebalance it.

-Chris

Last edited:
Just thought I would chime in same thing going on under there.I have the same thing going on with no SYE.Just stock d35 with 2" aal in rear and spacers up front.House remodel keeping me from trouble shooting right now.

MACH90XJ said:
Just thought I would chime in same thing going on under there.I have the same thing going on with no SYE.Just stock d35 with 2" aal in rear and spacers up front.House remodel keeping me from trouble shooting right now.

The same clunk? It could be your slip yoke. Similar thing to my problem, but different location. Remove the yoke, grease it up and put it back, if that is your problem, and I have heard them to do this.

-Chris

i have the same shitty shaft with the boot on it. it is hard to compress/extend almost like there is a spring in the shaft? is this normal?

Back