• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Daily Driver: Best Lift Height and Tire Size Combo for Weekend Fun

Quills

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 Jeep Cherokee and I was going to add a complete 4.5" Rusty's with 31x10.5" tires. Do you guys think that this is the best combination for offroad weekend fun, fuel efficiency, look, performance, and freeway/town driving?

Will I have to worry about dreaded Death Wobble?

Thanks,
Justin

Death wobble doesnt come from simply lifting your vehicle. It can be accelerated by lifting your vehicle, but its caused by poor/worn out parts such as:

Tie rod ends
Track bar bushings/ends/mount
Control Arm bushings
Bad shocks/bushings/mounts

Out of balance tires, shot motor mounts and a few other things can also cause shakes and wobbles that can be mistaken for "death wobble".

Do some searching for reviews of Rusty's products...most of them are not favorable. And since you are so far from Alabama, he will rape you, without lube, on the shipping. You're very close to ARB's US headquarters, why not go with some OME Springs? :D

Honestly, I think I'd take just about any other lift manufacturer out there over Rusty...my $.02

We can't tell you what lift/tire combo is best for you without know exactly what you want out of it, but 4.5" is a very reasonable DD/weekend wheeler rig.

Rusty's stuff often gets flamed by a few people around here. Personally, I have had nothing but good products from him at very reasonably prices. And I have installed several sets of 3" and 4.5" lifts of his (all are still doing very well).

Death Wobble has nothing to do with the lift.

Search some more, continue reading till you know exactly what you want then order up the parts and build it ;)

Michael

At 4" you are at the borderline for needing a SYE. It also starts to get tricky to get into the back seat of an XJ with a 4.5" lift.

If you stick with a 3"-3.5" lift you won't run into quite as many problems, and will still be able to fit 31s.

Definately go with a good quality lift like Rubicon Express or Old Man Emu if you are going to drive it everyday. The better ride and increased reliability will well make up for the price difference.

THumbs up for 3.5" Superlift with T case drop.
And you won't know death wobble till you lift a Range Rover!!!

My XJ is my DD Wkend fun rig, nothing to Extreme.
I run a 3.5 Tuff Country Lift w/ 32's, T-case drop with no DL vibes.
I have blocks for now, but TC just released a 3.5" rear spring for the XJ.
I'm looking into putting those on to get away from blocks.
I have pretty bad axle wrap w/ worn out stock spring and blocks.

Just my $.02

Rob

I bought my XJ with a 3" Rusty's lift and 32's on 16x8" wheels. Its pretty much my DD now and the height seems plenty for some weekend fun. I don't particularly like the Rusty's kit that's on it (AAL's suck) so I'll probably start replacing components soon. I do rub a little since the lift isn't all that high and the tires are pretty big, but I'll probably trim the fenders soon. After recalibrating the speedo, I got around 17mpg, so gears are going to be my next major mod to regain some of the mileage and low end grunt. Its got a TC drop so there aren't any vibrations, and a trac bar wouldn't hurt since it seems the front axle is out of center by about half an inch or so. Still, if I wanted, I could leave it completely alone with the mods it has and be perfectly fine driving every day.

If I were you, I'd start lower than 4.5" because you'll need plenty of extra parts like an SYE and trac bar that aren't necessary with a smaller lift. If I had my choice and could start from scratch, I'd definitely get a Rubicon Express 3.5" superflex kit with monotube shocks and either 31's or 32's on 15x8 wheels.

Seems 4.5" is a bit high for a DD/WW. Mine also being a DD/WW I wanted to keep it low as possible for 31's. At 2 1/2" with a bit of trimming it gets the job done.
4.5" can also get pretty pricey correcting issues at that height. I chose to put that kinda money in the drive line, and armor/recovery.

DSCF4526tr.jpg

but a 4.5" on 31's will flex like you won't believe...

anyway, for a DD, i am with some other people, 4.5 is a bit high, and would also go with a higher end kit like OME that will give you great spring rates, and good shocks.

if you want good fuel economy, you are doing the wrong thing by putting larger tires on it. if you want "not as bad" fuel economy after you lift it, gear it.

Back