• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moog U-Joints

xCWolf

Bring the Boom
NAXJA Member
So I bought some new u-joints for my front driveshaft and installed them, this is before I knew there was a big difference between u-joints. I got Moog 377's My question, did I do good? Or should I have bought something better/stronger

Moog is typically a decent name. Spicer is not usually much more money, so I usually run them. If you got greasable joints, make sure to do that.

Yeah they are greasable and I had bad ball joints and realized the u-joints were bad when the axle shaft was in my lap so I could only get what auto zone had on short notice 10 minutes before they closed. so I said "what are the best you have" got these. wasn't sure if they were equivalent to the 297x/270 something like that or if anyone knows. Just want to make sure I didn't (accidentally) get inferior u-joints.

Moogs are fine, especially on the front axles.
Since they have grease fittings, install the u-joints so the fittings are under
compression rather than tension with the axle under power. Less chance of
failure that way.

Oops, I see they're already installed, so 50-50 chance of being installed this
way. Not worth doing over...

Last edited:
As long as I bought something good I'm happy. I really don't want to have to replace the u-joints I just put in as they were already difficult enough. I broke my 1/2" breaker bar trying to get the damn axle nuts off.

As long as I bought something good I'm happy. I really don't want to have to replace the u-joints I just put in as they were already difficult enough. I broke my 1/2" breaker bar trying to get the damn axle nuts off.

PB blaster the night before will help with rusted nuts. Heat it if it doesn't budge easily. Did you throw some antisieze on the axle nut when you put it back on? Will make taking it off later easier. Or, do like lots of folks and just pull the whole thing out with the unit bearing.

I already swapped everything weeks ago, ended up having to heat it up. I ended up taking out the whole axle shaft bringing it to my basement and doing everything there. Driver's side was awful hard, passenger took about 1/4 the time. Wish I did put some antiseize on it though for the future

I already swapped everything weeks ago, ended up having to heat it up. I ended up taking out the whole axle shaft bringing it to my basement and doing everything there. Driver's side was awful hard, passenger took about 1/4 the time. Wish I did put some antiseize on it though for the future

Still can. Would be super easy right now and you don't even need to jack it up.

Interesting thing I noticed after I replaced my u-joints and ball joints, now when I turn a good amount of the time it feels like it has to "lock in" and kind of pops when I start to turn almost like its catching popping than turning. Yeah I know awful description but any advice on this would be appreciated. My first guess is control arm bushings but I feel like I could be wrong

Back