• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge Cluster Swap

ebxjbob

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting a 96 cherokee classic that only has the speedo and fuel gauges and then the idiot lights. If i can get a cluster from a 96 cherokee with full gauges can I just plug that in or is the wiring harness in mine going to be missing things since it didn't come from the factory with a tach etc. I'd like to go with the factory look rather then get an aftermarket tach and gauges. Anyone know whats going on back there??

You'll be able to plug and play as long as the styles match up.

You'll also need a new oil sensore and coolant sensor for the back of the block?

Fergie

Ok thanks, what do you mean by oil sensor and coolant sensor? I know my 94 had the oil pressure sender right next to the oil filter, will that still be there? and I don't know where the coolant sensor was or will be on my new 96

yeah your swap will be a bit more difficult, sensors etc. the 97+ swap is plug and play, its so simple, it makes the idiot lights look difficult! nothing like a plug n play tach, oil, temp, and battery haha

You have to replace the oil sensor in the filter base is very easy but take care not to twist it or the tread may broke is only 1/4 NPT brass, the coolant sensor is on the back of the head in drivers side and change is a breeze.

Good luck and enjoy it.

When you find a donor truck, get the gauges, the sensors, and as much of the wiring that leads to the sensors that you can get. I just put gauges from a '91 into my '96. The connections from the sending units were different from my wiring harness. Had to go back to the yard to get the old hookups, and splice them into my harness.

All is well, now.

p.s. Get the clear plastic gauge cover, also. You need a hole for the trip meter reset rod. I ended up drilling my old one, because the donor plastic was cracked. Not hard to do, just gotta hit the right spot. Also, swap the "background" plastic between the gauges and the clear cover, to keep the colors the same (black vs. grey) if you need to.

Steve

if you find a cluster 93 to 96 is a direct fit, no need for other cables or connectors, y changed mine from a 93 to my 95 in half hour, including the change of the coolant sensor and oil sensor.

JeepFreak21 said:
'84-'96 Oil pressure sending unit is Mopar #56026779
'84-'96 Coolant temperature sending unit is Mopar #56027012
Billy
Could you please cite the source for those part numbers? I know the '88 and '94 FSMs list different ohm ranges for the gauge senders, so it's rather unlikely they can be the same part number for 84 thru 96.

i did the swap a few years ago and its rather easy.
1. get a proper guage cluster - speedo cable driven vs electrical
2. install it
3.go to a local parts houe and pick up the oil sender unit and coolant switch ( they will ask for lights or guages say guages - about 15$ a piece)
4. instal them (oil is on top of the oil filter and coolant is on the back on the engine on the drivers side)

pete

Back