• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wipe my tears away...

G.Q. Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
oaky I was driving home today and noticed my wipers making a clunking sound, this was happening for 10mins, then they stopped working, but the clunking is still there, what am I looking at in terms of a fix???

gotta get it repaired by Sunday, as its my last run of the year!!! HELP!!!

Jeff

Do they not move at all? The clunking is probably worn linkage bushings in the wiper mechanism. Replacing them is a fairly easy job. You can search for the part number on this site. If they do not move at all, and you don't hear the morot trying to move them, you may have bigger issues. I would check the fuse first, though.

This happened to mine about 1000 miles from home in the worst rain storm I have ever driven through, at midnight. I pulled in to a gas station under the cover by the pumps, and pulled off the cowling (the part between the hood and the windshield). I found that the cross-member that holds the motor had broken in half. I found an old tire pry in the back end and used 4 zip ties to "repair" the cross member, re-attached the arm to the motor, and I was back in business... It stayed that way for 4 years, until the poor girl gave up the ghost in a fire last year.

the wipers themselves do not move at all, but you can hear the mechanism move under the cowel....it feels like something fell off..I will have to fix it today as I have a trial run tomorrow....

Jeff

Mine did not move at all either, because the actuator arm had fallen off the motor arm (ball joint) so the motor just clunked around under the cowling when turned on.

I could see that night as well with as without the wipers, as the rain was coming down so thick that nothing could keep the windshield cleared fast enough.

Back