• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I mixed up Transmission cooler lines!

ItZaJeePThiNG

NAXJA Forum User
Please help me sort out which line goes where.

the two lines on the radiator upper and lower connect to the transmission.

there is a front and rear line coming from the trans.

which one connects to which one on the radiator lines?
example: does upper connect to front or rear line on tranny?

its now dark and i forgot to mark b4 i cut the lines. my fault and i couldnt find anything in the lame haynes or any pics of this on here.

actually found this on here tonight...hope it helps

transcooler.jpg

so what this is showing is that the upper line on the rad. goes to the front line on the tranny. right?

now that that is cleared up. why dont i have the aux. cooler??? my jeep is a 94 XJ sport 4 door. was this not a standard item?

Thanks for the pic rain dog! where the heck you find it?!?

Hmmm, I'm not into auto trannies but I don't see it making any difference as long as there is a supply and a return... also if you cut the lines you should be able to match the cuts up on the hoses, kinda like CSI....

no i already sanded them.

well i just installed them back together with 3/8th" fuel/em. 60psi hose. i put the upper hose on the rad to the front outlet on the tranny. i put the lower hose on the rad. to the rear outlet on the tranny.

I hope this is correct as i need to pickup some fluid tomorrow and check for leaks.

ItZaJeePThiNG said:
no i already sanded them.

well i just installed them back together with 3/8th" fuel/em. 60psi hose. i put the upper hose on the rad to the front outlet on the tranny. i put the lower hose on the rad. to the rear outlet on the tranny.

I hope this is correct as i need to pickup some fluid tomorrow and check for leaks.

It won't matter, honestly.

However, do swap the fuel hose you used for power steering hose - the elastomers used have different formulations, and ATF can slowly dissolve fuel hose (the reverse is also true.)

5-90 said:
However, do swap the fuel hose you used for power steering hose - the elastomers used have different formulations, and ATF can slowly dissolve fuel hose (the reverse is also true.)

Not that the information you give needs verification from a third party or anything, but this is absolutely true, and it nearly stranded me twice - once was a previous owner's fault and once was mine.

Also, hose rated for coolant will not stand up to ATF in my experience, as one of my trail repairs on a transmission cooler line wound up leaking within a couple thousand miles.

TheAlmightySam said:
Not that the information you give needs verification from a third party or anything, but this is absolutely true, and it nearly stranded me twice - once was a previous owner's fault and once was mine.

Also, hose rated for coolant will not stand up to ATF in my experience, as one of my trail repairs on a transmission cooler line wound up leaking within a couple thousand miles.

WOW, that musta been a long trail :D :rof:

ItZaJeePThiNG said:
now that that is cleared up. why dont i have the aux. cooler??? my jeep is a 94 XJ sport 4 door. was this not a standard item?

I believe the aux. cooler was a tow package item - optional. A freind's XJ had no aux. cooler but mine does.

ParadiseXJ said:
I believe the aux. cooler was a tow package item - optional. A freind's XJ had no aux. cooler but mine does.
That's what my FSM says the optioal towing package came with the aux. cooler for the tranny.

Back