• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Barn doors.

Kyle Petterson

NAXJA Forum User
First off, you guys are friggin' nuts. And I mean that in the best way possible. Most of the fabrication here is just awesome. Anybody ever try or think about trying rear barn doors? I've tried searching, haven't found anything. I know there's a rumor that some military XJ's had them.

You'd have to do a lot of fiberglass patching if you're doing that on a 84-96 XJ or welding if it's a newer one, but I don't think it would be that hard. Use a bunch of parts from an old van like an Econoline and you'd be set. Not that I've ever seen it done before for that matter.

why would you want to do that? have you ever driven like a tahoe or a suburban with them? I you change it the best way would be with the tailgate liftgate combo like the removable top one

iluv83vettes said:
why would you want to do that? have you ever driven like a tahoe or a suburban with them? I you change it the best way would be with the tailgate liftgate combo like the removable top one

That is for each to decide, Id rather it be 2 doors on the back also.

Id try to retrofit the 97 and up steel hatch doors for the mod. just easier to work with

I would rather have a roll down rear window like FS Waggys.

iluv83vettes said:

Yes I have. Quite a bit. And I like it.

rockwerks said:
Id try to retrofit the 97 and up steel hatch doors for the mod. just easier to work with

How hard is that swap? I haven't searched. I was looking at one yesterday and it looked pretty straightforward. Swapping mounts, latch, lights, etc.

Caravans that were cargo vans often had fiberglass barndoors in the back, some had windows and some didn't. But everything attaching the doors to the minivans was riveted inplace. might not be too hard to modify some or all...

With a cage, I imagine this would be REALLY easy. You could even mount a tire directly to one of the doors with stronger hinges on them. Seems like a great idea.

RyleyF said:
You'd have to do a lot of fiberglass patching if you're doing that on a 84-96

not entirely true.the very early 84(i know) to 86 (i think) had steel hatches as well.it was only after the first few production years that they realized it was to heavy and did the swap over to fiber glass.

I guess i'm the only one who doesn't like the huge blind spot created by the pillar in the back. I must be too used to the openness of my cherokee.

Wil Badger said:
not entirely true.the very early 84(i know) to 86 (i think) had steel hatches as well.it was only after the first few production years that they realized it was to heavy and did the swap over to fiber glass.

Interesting! My buddies 84 has a f/glass rear hatch.

TXRIVERRAT said:
Interesting! My buddies 84 has a f/glass rear hatch.

i know they are around but hard to find .it might have just been the first few months but there was a steel hatch for the early years just hard to find.

Wil Badger said:
i know they are around but hard to find .it might have just been the first few months but there was a steel hatch for the early years just hard to find.

I'm going to have to call BS here, there is only one hatch available from 1984 to 1996 and it's fiberglass. The 1997-2001 models have the only steel hatches available on an XJ.

If you can find me a picture of a steel hatch equipped 1984 Cherokee I'll retract my statement but until then :bs:.

Later,
Joe

My 85 is glass. And I have been around several military XJ's and they all had the standard rear hatch. It might be interesting to cut a hatch in half and mount them to swing sideways. Then maybe I wouldn't keep hitting my head on the open hatch?

Crash_AF said:
I'm going to have to call BS here, there is only one hatch available from 1984 to 1996 and it's fiberglass. The 1997-2001 models have the only steel hatches available on an XJ.

If you can find me a picture of a steel hatch equipped 1984 Cherokee I'll retract my statement but until then :bs:.

Later,
Joe

believe what you want. i know i have seen a few but not many.they are rare and might have only lasted for a few of the first production run .i have seen them though.

i'm sure i'm not the only one who has seen one as well.

Back