• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where 2 Weld 2 stiffener Unibody

danny Benavidez

NAXJA Forum User
Today I have access to a mig welder and I will like to weld up some joints to help stiffener unibody frame. Any places where welds can help ?

weld up some joints?

just some weld wont do you much good. need some steel to work with. and if ya got only a small amount it would be best to plate your frame around the steering box and trackbar mount and perhaps the rear leaf perches. you won't notice any "stiffening" from this though but it will make a couple weak unibody points last longer

You need to add steel to the unibody rails. There are several companies that make fitted doublers that are pre-cut and bent to nest directly over the uni-frame and then get rosette and stitch-welded to it. Do a search using "unibody stiffener" or a similar term, you'll find numerous threads on it. The undercoating must be scraped/stripped and then weldable primer applied prior to adding unibody stiffeners. I would recommend that you be an experienced welder before attempting this, and set aside plenty of time for all of the work.

Good luck.

Thanks,

I got alots of plate to add anywhere I wish
Any other weak unibody points i can make last longer ?

Thay are on my pipe dream wish list

They shouldnt be too much of a pipe dream. Theyre only like 100 bucks which isnt bad.

And that is coming from a HS student with no money and no job...for now :laugh3:

Danny, hope thay teech u sum spelling while en skool as well, but besite datt.........u ad weld and plate to yer unitbody now, aint NOOOOOO unitbody stiffener gonna work later, pipe dream or not. :dunce:

Back