NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old October 10th, 2019, 10:12
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: Ticking / misfire /check engine light.

Try searching on www.car-part.com

Any XJ Cherokee or ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine block will fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....
Old October 11th, 2019, 08:57
NAXJA Forum User

ill check it out. and on tuesday im taking it in to my usual mechanic to get a second opinion. he usually has some good options/connections with people.
Old October 16th, 2019, 15:08
NAXJA Forum User

Update: Going to need a new motor. no compression in cylinder 2 and some lower end knock.
would it be safe to drive at least 30 minutes at 45mph to a shop i know of that could install the new motor for me?
also any recommendations for companies to go with for reman motors?
Old October 20th, 2019, 21:16
NAXJA Member

Why exactly would a fuel injector that "isn't doing anything" 'soak' the cylinder and wash away your compression?
Old October 20th, 2019, 21:23
NAXJA Forum User

Idk. Both mechanics say I have no compression in cyl 2. (Motor only has 140k on it) First mechanic originally said oh itís just the ECU. But then upon further inspection he noticed the compression being gone also.. and then spark plug soaked, and scorched cyl walls. So he said the ecu most likely told the injector to spray constantly? Iím not entirely sure of anything anymore, Except that I have no compression.
Old October 20th, 2019, 21:23
NAXJA Member

I would still investigate where the compression is going? Out the valves? Through the rings? A leak down test will give you more information. If its cartooned up valves, sea form, the Mopar or other brand equivalents of intake/valve cleaners, etc. may do the trick. What exactly is the lower end knock?
Old October 20th, 2019, 21:27
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavioAZ View Post
Idk. Both mechanics say I have no compression in cyl 2. (Motor only has 140k on it) First mechanic originally said oh itís just the ECU. But then upon further inspection he noticed the compression being gone also.. and then spark plug soaked, and scorched cyl walls. So he said the ecu most likely told the injector to spray constantly? Iím not entirely sure of anything anymore, Except that I have no compression.
If the injector was flooding that cylinder that makes sense, but that would be the opposite of "doing nothing".
Old Yesterday, 11:23
NAXJA Forum User

yeah, so I think the ecu could have told the injector to flood it.
but now that there is no compression in that cylinder, when i disconnect the injector wire it doesn't even make a difference in the idle/misfire, because of compression being gone already. its not that the injector is doing nothing, its just that it doesnt effect the idle/ misfire anymore. i hope that makes sense.

I found a motor for $1500, and i found a guy to help me install it. he quoted me $700. so all in all under 3k isnt that bad