NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old March 8th, 2005, 09:24
NAXJA Forum User

Potential Ignition starter switch problem.

First to start off - After an autoshop in my hometown replaced a recall on the shifter (Now I have to push the button in to actually shift). Anyway, after they were done and I was on my way back to college I noticed I didnt have a dome light anymore, and I had no dinging when i left the lights on or left my keys in the ignition...and now..
I have been having starter issues for a few weeks, the first time I was in a parking lot and couldnt get any response, I had all power but no clicking or anything from the starter, the lights dont even dim. I got out, wacked the starter with a hammer and got back in and it started right up.I assumed a bad starter..Poor college kid, i figured I would milk it for a few..anyway happened another time, I wacked it, it didnt start, got back under there and wacked it a couple more times and it started.
Ended up not starting a few days later..then when I went for one last try the day i was going to change the starter (i wanted to work on it in the garage, is that too much to ask?) it started right up, with no banging.
I replaced the starter and everything was fine..for a day. I am now realizing something. Everytime i got out to hit it I moved the key around, when that didnt work, i hit the starter and then moved the key around some more and it would eventually start...
Am I actually having an ignition starter switch problem and not a starter problem at all?? I have tried starting it in neutral and that doesnt work..my reverse lights are fine. I replaced the starter relay a few months ago (but i know that means nothing). So, before I go down and blow a whopping $10 what do you guys think? No dome lights, no dinging sounds, no starting all related to the switch?
Also, Im in an 87 wagoneer limited..thanks:-)