NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 17th, 2011, 19:06
NAXJA Forum User

e-brake / roll control

Anyone have experience with their e-brake not holding well? I've got Ford Explorer disc brakes on the back of my '94 (auto) with a D44 . I replaced the e-brake shoes, adjusted, re-adjusted, and adjusted some more. Still wimpy. I've been using "P" as my e-brake but would rather have a good working real e-brake.

My question: I'm going to install a line lock / roll control but was wondering if I should use it on the front brakes? That way I will have 4 wheel e-brakes when I put it in P.

Mostly use it for trails. Not a DD.
Old March 17th, 2011, 21:42
NAXJA Member

Re: e-brake / roll control

My E-Brake on two seperate XJ's with ford 8.8 discs has held solid.

I run Sam Biondo line locks front and rear (two units, 1 switch). They work very well; most of the time that I use them, I am winching someone and have them locked so I can be outside but still 'hold the brake'. They do draw about an amp each, and generate some heat - I would not use them for a long term parking brake, but have had them on for an hour or so at a time with no problems.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SBR-LL/
Old March 17th, 2011, 22:43
NAXJA Forum User

Never thought about running 2 line locks.... great idea. The e-brakes on the Explorer may work fine, but for some reason when fitted to a D44 conversion they really suck. Might have to do with leverage / pivot points??

I wasn't planning on using it for a "parking brake". It's only for temporary use like what you described.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.
Old March 18th, 2011, 06:15
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROKTAXI View Post
Never thought about running 2 line locks.... great idea. The e-brakes on the Explorer may work fine, but for some reason when fitted to a D44 conversion they really suck. Might have to do with leverage / pivot points??

I wasn't planning on using it for a "parking brake". It's only for temporary use like what you described.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.

My first was on a d44, the current one is on a d60.

It is probably the way your cables are adjusted?
Old March 18th, 2011, 07:25
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
It is probably the way your cables are adjusted?
I think you're right, but I've been trying to adjust it so they work, but no luck. My friend has the same setup and he has the same problem.
Old March 18th, 2011, 07:30
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROKTAXI View Post
I think you're right, but I've been trying to adjust it so they work, but no luck. My friend has the same setup and he has the same problem.
I seem to recall doing some tweaking to the rod the cables feed into, but I don't remember what. If I get some free time, I'll dig through my photos and see if i have anything of help.
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:57
NAXJA Forum User

keep in mind line locks dont hold forever. they will bleed off and loose pressure.